Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2740049 times)

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11720 on: 24 September 2021, 17:37 »
I had the front 4 windows tinted today, the small triangles behind the wing mirrors and the 2 doors. Just to lessen the divide between the front and 90% rears.

Is that legal? Always thought the front door windows had to be clear like the windscreen!

It's not, but sure we're all a little illegal.

Have you told your insurance company?
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11721 on: 24 September 2021, 19:09 »
I had the front 4 windows tinted today, the small triangles behind the wing mirrors and the 2 doors. Just to lessen the divide between the front and 90% rears.

Is that legal? Always thought the front door windows had to be clear like the windscreen!

Yes.

I also sold my 19 Santiago Alloys today so now I'm on the search for a set of 18's for winter use, ideally a set of Belvederes or Rotary's, but cheapest will be the case most likely.
« Last Edit: 24 September 2021, 19:23 by willni »
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11722 on: 24 September 2021, 19:33 »

Yes.

In the UK, I don’t think it’s illegal to tint the front side windows in a car; the % of tint determines whether or not it’s illegal.

I think that the side windows forward of the B pillars need to let through 70% of VLT (visible light transmission), so getting a 30% tint applied would be OK. Any darker, if you’re stopped by the police you may be asked to remove the tint film from the windows there and then if in their view they consider it to be too dark to be safe under certain conditions - e.g. reducing a person’s visibility when driving after dark. I think you would probably also get a fixed penalty notice, which could mean points on licence and / or a fine.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11723 on: 24 September 2021, 20:17 »

Yes.

In the UK, I don’t think it’s illegal to tint the front side windows in a car; the % of tint determines whether or not it’s illegal.

I think that the side windows forward of the B pillars need to let through 70% of VLT (visible light transmission), so getting a 30% tint applied would be OK. Any darker, if you’re stopped by the police you may be asked to remove the tint film from the windows there and then if in their view they consider it to be too dark to be safe under certain conditions - e.g. reducing a person’s visibility when driving after dark. I think you would probably also get a fixed penalty notice, which could mean points on licence and / or a fine.

The majority of cars are at the limit from the factory from my understanding, so I know what I'm getting myself in for, but it's a very light tint and you'd be very hard pressed to tell it was tinted, even with an untinted golf beside it.

This is cowboy country SRGTD, they've had to pick their battles over here. The majority of the country uses illegal number plates.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #11724 on: 28 September 2021, 14:19 »
I fitted door welcome/exit lights on the front doors (SO long winded) and footwell lights that are in the front and rear. I’ve got 30 colour instrument colours coded in so it’s nice to match the footwells to the colours shown on the MIB and the digital dash.

Driving at night is amazing now :grin:

Looks great did you use OBD eleven to code the colours?

Thanks! Yes I used OBD11 to change colours but only for the actual MIB/active info display. The footwell lights are controlled via an app on my phone/remote control

Thanks

So do you get the light strip in the doors to be available in different colours with the obd eleven or is that just the same red?
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #11725 on: 28 September 2021, 17:21 »
That just stays red, by design, unfortunately

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11726 on: 04 October 2021, 14:34 »
Got my car booked in to have the under bonnet sound insulation replaced and to investigate coolant loss.

The tech I spoke to thought the insulation shrinks due to dealers jet washing under the bonnet, the insulation dries from the heat of the engine causing the shrinkage. No idea if he's right or not but seems plausible. He was also the one who suggested getting the engine checked for coolant loss when he saw the bottle of G12 in my hand. Although I've had a couple of issues with them generally they have been very helpful.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #11727 on: 04 October 2021, 16:37 »
A good opportunity to replace the under bonnet insulation.
As an observation my under bonnet insulation is perfect, stored in a spare bedroom, the CS-S comes without this insulation, so I thought I would enjoy a little more engine noise in my CS.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #11728 on: 04 October 2021, 16:58 »
Mine seems to have shrunk a bit too and come away at the lowest point near the washer jets, i bought some lengths of 3m velcro and threaded it through the bonnet strengthening web, folded it over the sound deadening pad and secured it that way.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #11729 on: 04 October 2021, 18:30 »
Got my car booked in to have the under bonnet sound insulation replaced and to investigate coolant loss.

The tech I spoke to thought the insulation shrinks due to dealers jet washing under the bonnet, the insulation dries from the heat of the engine causing the shrinkage. No idea if he's right or not but seems plausible. He was also the one who suggested getting the engine checked for coolant loss when he saw the bottle of G12 in my hand. Although I've had a couple of issues with them generally they have been very helpful.

How much coolant have you lost? Was it a one off, or have you had to top up more than once?
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.