Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2829595 times)

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #3420 on: 16 December 2015, 20:03 »
^^^
Lovely.  They're going to look perfect with TR.

Thanks Rebecca :smiley:
Really wanna fit them now, but as my car is going into VW in Jan for some niggles (as you know) I don't want them trying to blame me changing the wheels the cause of the issues :angry:

Maybe test fit them next week when I'm off and nothing to do :grin:

Yeah, can understand that, but you should do the test fit, photograph them and show us the pics. :smiley:  Have you got a decent wheel sealant Ian?

I have stuff called Planet Polish and also some Poorboys stuff left. Any recommendation Rebecca?
I here the G Technic stuff is good
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #3421 on: 16 December 2015, 20:17 »
If it's planet polish wheel seal & shine, then is good stuff, it just doesn't last as long as some of the newer products like gtechniq or car pro cquartz. I'd leave the poor boys on the shelf, it's not very good.

Nice wheels, very nice

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #3422 on: 16 December 2015, 20:32 »
If it's planet polish wheel seal & shine, then is good stuff, it just doesn't last as long as some of the newer products like gtechniq or car pro cquartz. I'd leave the poor boys on the shelf, it's not very good.

Nice wheels, very nice

Yea it's that seal & shine stuff.
Not so keen on the Poorboys stuff myself tbh, it's a nightmare to get off :angry:
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3423 on: 16 December 2015, 21:32 »
I have stuff called Planet Polish and also some Poorboys stuff left. Any recommendation Rebecca?
I here the G Technic stuff is good

Not familiar with Planet Polish but looks like Eccie rates it.  :smiley:

I disagree with Eccie as I think Poorboys Wheel Sealant is very good but I do agree it can be a total pita to buff off if you leave it just slightly too long, which is easy to do.  I've had it bake on in the sun in less than 5 mins and cursed heavily trying to get the bloody stuff off, lol.

Poorboys can be a pita on certain wheels like black ones or wheels with black detailing/insets, like your old Cadiz.  My last wheels were virtually all black and no matter how carefully I went over buffing off the sealant, there was always some that evaded detection and then stuck out like a sore thumb later, lol.  But that aside, it is a great wheel sealant.  But it might not be such as issue on your new powder coated wheels?

However I've bought some Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour for my spring 2016 detail as I'm keen to try something else and think a clear sealant will make life easier.  The Prets, whilst not difficult to seal, are fiddly and I'm sick of poking bits of pink Poorboys out of wheel bolts!  So I'm gonna give the C5 a go.  I'll let you know what it's like. For me it was a toss up between the C5 and Gyeon Q2 RIM quartz sealant, but decided to give the Gtechniq a whirl this time.
« Last Edit: 16 December 2015, 22:02 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #3424 on: 16 December 2015, 22:08 »
I used Cquartz on my austins in the summer, it went on very easy, 1st time using it

I also finished off the bottle on my winter wheels, we'll see how it performs- but first impression is very favourable, it's very slick & easy to top up with reload

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3425 on: 17 December 2015, 17:29 »
Currently in Vegas with my Golf GTI hire car. It's a Carbon Grey DSG 5 door. Main differences between this and UK spec are: Halogen lights (they're like a pair of candles) no digital climate control, a manual   handbrake, no ACC, very soft suspension, parking camera (but no parking sensors) - I'd rather have the sensors, but spaces here are huge as the average car here is a Dodge Ram (huge). It does have an SOS button in the roof console to link you to the breakdown services, front and rear lights are just like you'd get on a Base model Golf. Other than those differences it looks pretty much like a UK model.

So glad my R is manual, the DSG is so dimwitted when left to its own devices. Anyone wondering whether to get an R or a GTI, I'd say get the R, the performance difference is pretty substantial (and it is running on 95, not crappy 91). It's a thirsty bugger too, averaging 21mpg (US gallons), so about 26 miles to the proper gallon.

Going to drive it to the Hoover Dam today.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #3426 on: 17 December 2015, 18:18 »
Accidentally filled my GTD with premium diesel instead of the usual Esso stuff I've been filling it with. Be interesting to see what difference, if any, it makes. It best !ake some, it was 7p a litre more expensive!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3427 on: 17 December 2015, 19:20 »
Thats a pretty crappy spec on the USA GTI. One of the selling points of the GTI is that its got a very high base spec.

Going to drive it to the Hoover Dam today.

I misread that the first time, I thought you said "drive it off the Hoover Dam" :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #3428 on: 18 December 2015, 07:41 »
Just driven mine again for the first time in 4 days after being away on business and being given a manual Merc A Class A180D with the AMD Sport pack and over 800 miles. Nice looking car but after 4 years with a DSG box, god I missed it, and so did my left knee - it's bloody aching.

Despite and flaws the MK7 may have (and to be honest it's got a few), sometimes it take driving something else to make you truly appreciate how rounded and good a car the MK7 (and especially the GT/GTD/GTI/R) actually is.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline AntGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3429 on: 18 December 2015, 07:53 »
What Sootchucker said.

Recently had a "moment" where I decided I needed to drive something else so bought a Mercedes C220 125 Edition AMG Coupe (auto) and hated it to the point where I sold it after 5 weeks.

VW have flaws but i find it difficult to drive anything else :)

Even when on holiday i drive a VW :)
Here comes the rain by Anthony Stevens, on Flickr
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD 180(ish) Reflex Silver with loads of stuff