Author Topic: Urgent advise needed  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Devilz

• I live here
  • Cruisin is not a crime
Urgent advise needed
« on: 04 January 2011, 18:03 »
Hi all,

looking for some insurance advise asap, I had an accident on new year's eve. There were two cars ahead of me, the first one suddenly braked for no reason and turned into side road. The car behind hit brakes and so did I, but car skidded and went straight into back of car infront of me. Now I was driving my brother-in-law car and he was sitting next to me. He called his insurance; i.e. eSure; to ask for repairs and courtesy car but they refused saying "the driver is insured with another company so they should deal with it". I spoke to my insurance company; i.e. Zurich connect; and they said they will only cover third party and your car should be repaired by eSure.

Both eSure and Zurich connect are refusing to help, so where do I stand and what should I do next?

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Urgent advise needed
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2011, 18:07 »
As you were driving your cover will be third party only so your insurance will not do anything to your car but should repair the car you hit taking your no claims. If your brother in law is fully comp then his insurance company should repair his car taking his no claims. Not to sure if the brother in laws company would pay for the other car as he was not driving.

Offline Devilz

• I live here
  • Cruisin is not a crime
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2011, 18:10 »
My insurance company is fine with third party repair but my brother-in-laws insurance is refusing to cover his car cause he was not driving. As far as I understand, they should but as they are refusing, what should we do then?

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2011, 18:22 »
sorry to say but nope,  thats why its called THIRD party only,   

unless you are a NAMED driver on you bro in laws policy.

YOUR insurance ( if you are 3rd party any car ) will cover any vehicle you hit - but not the car you are driving.

and as now the case, your bro in laws company have no liablity to repair ANYTHING, ( again unless ur a named driver )  as you were driving it on your own policy.

There is nothing you can do, this is the risk you take driving like this,  a mate of mine is STILL paying for the car he wrote off on this way  ( his now EX girlfriend  :laugh: )

Offline Devilz

• I live here
  • Cruisin is not a crime
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2011, 18:27 »
even though we both have comprehensive insurance, nothing can be done with my bro car.

my insurance is okay to repair the car i hit, so it will effect my protected NCB. what about my bro's insurance, will his NCB be affected as well though his insurance is not doing fixing anything?

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2011, 18:30 »
should have said your brother was driving :lipsrsealed:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2011, 18:32 »
even though we both have comprehensive insurance, nothing can be done with my bro car.

not thru HIS insurance - no - nothing whatsoever to do with them - all to do with you and yours.

Offline Devilz

• I live here
  • Cruisin is not a crime
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2011, 18:33 »
should have said your brother was driving :lipsrsealed:

thats what we thought afterwards  :shocked:

also the guy who was driving car infront, i'm 100% sure he was not what he said he was, I asked him to show his ID so I can confirm that he is giving his insurance details but he didn't have anything on him to prove it.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2011, 18:33 »

my insurance is okay to repair the car i hit, so it will effect my protected NCB. what about my bro's insurance, will his NCB be affected as well though his insurance is not doing fixing anything?

as chuff said... unless you are a NAMED driver at fault or can prove another driver is at fault you will only be covered THIRD PARTY for this incident

Offline Devilz

• I live here
  • Cruisin is not a crime
« Reply #9 on: 04 January 2011, 18:36 »

as chuff said... unless you are a NAMED driver at fault or can prove another driver is at fault you will only be covered THIRD PARTY for this incident

well the guy who caused this ran from the scene, so as I see it, its not our fault. Roads were wet, we braked, car skidded and hit the car from behind. Nothing major happened to car infront but the front of my brother's car was damaged badly.

front bumper, grill, fog lights, bonnet