Author Topic: Advice,want to rig out a mk3  (Read 1516 times)

Offline 1995GTI

• Not said much yet
Advice,want to rig out a mk3
« on: 03 September 2009, 16:15 »
Hello, my friend got his 206 all rigged out with cd player,upgraded speakers,and 2 1000watt subs

personally i am now hooked on geting something similar.

and to be honest i know nothing about audio.

advice needed on price of maybe all this, how much to fit? and also products?

Thanks  :smiley:

Offline B-chi

• I live here
Re: Advice,want to rig out a mk3
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2009, 17:29 »
You'll save a packet fitting it yourself. DO NOT go to halfords you'll pay overprice for under quality.

What do you want from your stereo?
Massive bass that shakes the car?
Superb sq where you van hear every note perfectly?
Do you want to connect an iPod or mp3 player?
What is your budget?
Do you want keep your boot or loose it?

Generally you'll be looking at
cd hu
Set of comps up front (leave the rears standard).
Sub
2x amps
depending on what you want will depend on how you answer the above. If you want lots of power, over 1000w you'll need upgraded battery & i'd say sound deadening.

When you look at power figures looks at rms not peak or max figures. Rms is the only true way of working out a speakers power.

Offline 1995GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2009, 23:35 »
Thanks for your advice :D Yeah i would like to connect up my ipod to the cd player, budget does not matter to me as long as i am happy  :smiley: well my friend says he has 2 1000watt subs.

I want to be able 2 just go up the street and everybody can hear what im playing  :grin:

Just to complety show off, also dont mind about boot space! and yes i want massive bass that shakes the car. :cool:

How much would i save on fitting it all myself?

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2009, 09:04 »
Check out specs of stuff on caraudiodirect.co.uk

Then look in the special deals section on here and if you order from them you get free delivery! :wink:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline wampablo

• Here all the time
  • 2nd mk4
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2009, 09:47 »
what ever you do dont buy crap. go for a brand name that you know will last cheaper isnt always best you en d up paying twice for the same crap. its all well and good showing off but if mr chav hears your stuff he might decide he wants it for himself without letting you know till its all gone. maybe an alarm is the way to go also
« Last Edit: 04 September 2009, 09:49 by wampablo »

Offline B-chi

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2009, 13:55 »
Right without a budget you could spend anything upto £15,000!

Spec wise I'd go for hu, comps up front, 2 ch amp for the comps, 12" sub, mono amp for sub, sound deadening, updated battery, knu konceptz cablng throughout.

If you keep sub power below 1.5kwrms you shouldn't need to worry about alternator upgrades or multiple batteries.

1.5kwrms will be more than enough if set up correctly.

Good hu's.
Jvc avx77 top end, flash, dvd single din. £500
Alpine ida x300. £300
pioneer p77mp. £100 second hand

components you can spend anything up to £10,000. I'd say some brands to look at are rainbow, focal, cdt, hat. You'll be able to find a set in whatever price range you decide. Ideally you wanna listen to as many pairs as possible as they all sound different.

2 ch amps. Dls, genesis, diamond, rainbow are top makes again have a look there's loads of options. I'd say aim for between 70-120wrms that should be plenty enough to keep up with the sub.

Sub makes. Fi, re, aa, dd, spl dynamics. A 12" from one of those will make you smile. Look for an rms rating of around 1500wrms.

Mono amp. Massive audio, us amps, Orion, spl dynamics. These are big boy amps up to 7kw & above in some cases.

In the boot of my mk3 I've got a 3cu ft box tned to 30Hz for a single 12". It's a monster of a box but will make your sub Wang. You'll need a good box!

Sound deaden the boot & the inner & outer door skins as a minimium. Ideally you want to do the roof as well. This will help improve the sound in the car.

You'll want 0awg power cable, an uprated battery (nsb 90 would be nice or similiar).

You could probably do the above for around £3k.   

Offline 1995GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2009, 15:59 »
Thank you for your replies everyone its good to know all this  :smiley:

To be honest i did not expect it to cost as much as that, i dont think my friend went as far as sound deadening.

I am going to have to ask him exactly how much everything cost him.

Thanks  :smiley:

Offline B-chi

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2009, 12:10 »
Mate. How much have you got to spend? Want to spend?

Just because your mate spent say £1000 doesn't mean you would have to spend the same to get the same results. It's all about getting the most from your money.

I put my system together for under a grand, but I've got mostly secong hand gear. It is LOUD. Makes the boot lid go nuts, moves door panels. It hit 142db at 34Hz. Now i've only got 1 sub & 1000wrms but my box is awesome & i've got two monster batteries & good cabling.

You can put a very tidy system together using budget gear, but I'd need to know your total budget first. Also when people want LOUD systems they forget/don't know about upgrading power supply & stuff like that. They think they can just chuck 10,000w max stuff in the boot & there car will blow up. Not that simple I'm afraid.