Author Topic: Keyless car hacking  (Read 22302 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Keyless car hacking
« Reply #80 on: 03 May 2019, 13:20 »
Interesting demo video... how easy is it for your keyless car to be taken? And some solutions to stop this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9IhrMExnzM
« Last Edit: 03 May 2019, 13:24 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #81 on: 03 May 2019, 20:59 »
I thought that on the GTI you could disable the fob transmitting it's frequency/ signal by shutting the drivers  door then pressing the lock on the fob and then pressing, within a few seconds, the keyless door handle close button ?

I thought that this procedure temporarily disabled keyless entry and thus also disabled the fob from transmitting ?

Mines got keyless and personally I don't see a benefit at all (other than for the thieves) , just a gimmick .......I mean how hard is it to press a button, phew exhausting glad I've got keyless 😀
« Last Edit: 03 May 2019, 22:05 by Grahamt »
Golf 7.5 GTI, 2019MY, DSG, Atlantic blue, 90% rear tints.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #82 on: 03 May 2019, 21:26 »
Mines got keyless and personally I don't see a benefit at all (other than for the thieves) , just a gimmick .......I mean how hard is it to press a button, few exhausting glad I've got keyless 😀

Completely agree. Never seen the point of it personally. It'd be nice to have the option to not have it. But unfortunately VW knows best  :sad:
7.5 GTD

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #83 on: 03 May 2019, 21:36 »
Mines got keyless and personally I don't see a benefit at all (other than for the thieves) , just a gimmick .......I mean how hard is it to press a button, few exhausting glad I've got keyless 😀

Completely agree. Never seen the point of it personally. It'd be nice to have the option to not have it. But unfortunately VW knows best  :sad:

Thats why VW are so keen on selling you GAP insurance. Your car gets nicked, written off/never seen again, you get the original sale price back and go and buy another Golf  :whistle:

Your happy because you get a new car, VW are happy because they sell a new car

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #84 on: 04 May 2019, 08:09 »
I had a keyless Discovery for nearly 9 years before I got my new GTI - delighted it’s not keyless
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #85 on: 04 May 2019, 08:53 »
Thats why VW are so keen on selling you GAP insurance. Your car gets nicked, written off/never seen again, you get the original sale price back and go and buy another Golf  :whistle:

Your happy because you get a new car, VW are happy because they sell a new car

VW are probably keen to sell you their GAP product as it’s vastly over-priced compared to other GAP insurance products available from the likes of ALA, GAPinsurance123 or DirectGAP (there are others too).

I suspect that VW apply their own (large) mark up to their supplying GAP insurers price, hence why it’s so expensive compared to other GAP insurers products. I got GAP cover for less than half the price the VW dealer was trying to sell me their product for.

Also, it’s better to go for a Vehicle Replacement GAP product rather than Return to Invoice, so you don’t lose out if VW have increased the price of their cars, making a new replacement car more expensive than the original sale price paid.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #86 on: 04 May 2019, 11:23 »
Slightly off topic but I am thinking of leasing a GTI for 2 years. Do I need to take out GAP insurance on top of my fully comp insurance?

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #87 on: 04 May 2019, 11:37 »
I’d suggest it’s an absolute must. I’ve just taken it out with my R. Only had one car stolen and it’s the one I didn’t have gap with. Typical.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #88 on: 04 May 2019, 18:34 »
I had a keyless Discovery for nearly 9 years before I got my new GTI - delighted it’s not keyless

Wow.....a Discovery for 9 years.....series 3 or 4 .....more importantly how reliable was it ? I sold an anchient 200 Tdi six years ago and seriously thought of another Disco but  decided in the end the new ones were way to complex with some horror stories on reliability. Bought a bottom of the range 5 door Shogun instead......still got it, never faulted but very agricultural compared to the series 3 or 4 Disco.
Love my new GTI even with keyless 😏
« Last Edit: 05 May 2019, 08:25 by Grahamt »
Golf 7.5 GTI, 2019MY, DSG, Atlantic blue, 90% rear tints.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #89 on: 04 May 2019, 23:06 »
I’d suggest it’s an absolute must. I’ve just taken it out with my R. Only had one car stolen and it’s the one I didn’t have gap with. Typical.
Thanks, will look for the gap insurance then based on recommendations here.