Author Topic: New MK7 GTI Spec on Top Gear Website  (Read 17735 times)

Offline JulesS3

• GTI forum regular
Re: New MK7 GTI Spec on Top Gear Website
« Reply #50 on: 07 February 2012, 11:35 »
The new current crop of hot hatches are around 23-24k so about 26k max for top spec ones.

Jimmymature

« Reply #51 on: 07 February 2012, 11:47 »
Prices for ALL makes have moved up and on so people who think because of the current climate prices will fall imo are mistaken VW are not going to price it lower than the competition especially with the current exchange rate. Were UK/Europe not USA and until people stop buying cars that will never change.

I'll see what price of the new Focus ST is, I think that's going to be great car.  I had recently thought about getting a used R or S3 but with less that a few years to go until they are replace, I'm holding onto mine for one more year then I'm outa here....

Jim

Oh and another reason why the ST is going to be tempting is that there will be a factory supported power upgrade, 300 HP without having to worry about warranty etc.....

Jim

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 07 February 2012, 12:07 »
Prices for ALL makes have moved up and on so people who think because of the current climate prices will fall imo are mistaken VW are not going to price it lower than the competition especially with the current exchange rate. Were UK/Europe not USA and until people stop buying cars that will never change.

I'll see what price of the new Focus ST is, I think that's going to be great car.  I had recently thought about getting a used R or S3 but with less that a few years to go until they are replace, I'm holding onto mine for one more year then I'm outa here....

Jim

Oh and another reason why the ST is going to be tempting is that there will be a factory supported power upgrade, 300 HP without having to worry about warranty etc.....

Jim

That has already been in place on the current ST. Mountune offered the 260bhp package on the ST which was warranty covered. Likewise Vauxhall had some warranty performance upgrades on their VXR models.

Clearly that tempted all of us out of our current GTI's  :rolleyes:

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 07 February 2012, 12:12 »
The downside I suppose is that VW will be locking the ECU's on their cars from now on. Which means those going for extra power will not be able to achieve it so discreetly, but then again some people won't be deterred by that.

The modern problem with the GTI has consistently been that it is underpowered compared to it's rivals. But that hasn't really stopped the GTI selling.

Offline pottinger

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #54 on: 07 February 2012, 12:36 »

Jim

Jim

Yeah, the DSG should be good too, oh hang on ..... :rolleyes: :grin:
2011 5dr GTI, carbon Grey, DSG, and looovin it !

Jimmymature

« Reply #55 on: 07 February 2012, 13:40 »

Jim

Jim

That has already been in place on the current ST. Mountune offered the 260bhp package on the ST which was warranty covered. Likewise Vauxhall had some warranty performance upgrades on their VXR models.

Yeah Mountune was my point, I would love a VWR version but I doubt that very much.

Jim

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 07 February 2012, 14:21 »
Yes but the new ST is horrible to look at, just bareable in black, and only 5 doors.

Even the current ST owners are calling it black and blue!

Vauxhall GTC VXR looks best out of the next bunch, until we see the mk7 Golf or A/S3 for me.

Dave
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 07 February 2012, 14:31 »

Jim

Jim

Yeah Mountune was my point, I would love a VWR version but I doubt that very much.

Jim

But my point was that despite Ford already having a warranty backed tuning option, we all still bought our GTI's. Therefore I don't expect it to be much of a factor when it comes to the Mk7.

The Focus ST won't be getting Ford's new dual-clutch transmission. They have opted for a manual only model. Although the estate option sounds interesting.

Jimmymature

« Reply #58 on: 07 February 2012, 14:38 »
All very true but this is the new Focus ST by all accounts it's a very nice car.

I'll be taking one for a test drive when they arrive.

Jim

Offline pottinger

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #59 on: 07 February 2012, 14:51 »
The new ST is probably a very capable car  :smiley: but I cannot get out of my head
someone (cant remember who or where) called it "a hairy chest wig of a car" 

The new model doesnt look much better
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/motorshows/paris-motor-show/256987/ford_focus_st_official_pictures.html

BUT is just my opinion of course ! - check out those rear seats - height of taste and fashion and should
look well cool doin donuts and burnouts in asda's carpark  :laugh: :wink: :grin:

Something is just right about the GTI and presumably thats why peolple join here  :wink:

2011 5dr GTI, carbon Grey, DSG, and looovin it !