Author Topic: Jonnybravo - Saving it from the scrap yard (Project trackcar)  (Read 5930 times)

Offline jonnybravo

• Not said much yet
  • trackday weapon
after trying to start my project thread but struggling ( if a mod could move this thread for me :smiley:) i thought id just start it here and get some feed back

basically a mate and i decided one drunken night wed get a trackday car i found this car and within 7 days had a car and trailer sorted, we got our first day booked (abbingdon) and this is our story

ok so first came the car beleive it or not this was a CAT C !!!!! and itd been sat for 3 months and rather than the bloke scrap or break it made a perfect base car to start with

basically that was all the damage a wing and door, luckily no suspension damage and the car already has bigger 288mm grooved and drilled discs and front and rear eibach anti roll bars so it was a great base start

its got 160k but has a really strong engine and had been very well cared for so it seemed a shame to do this but weight counts so it had to been done, rather that than scraped or broken
so it started like this sun morning

and by sun lunch time looked like this

we then found the usual rust spots but they werent that bad but made the plates and welded in the patchs

and got the battered wing off

then we managed to get some old vw bora wheels and painted them to match the mood black look were going for

found a wing and door from a black vr6 (£40  :smug:)

then off came the calipers refurbed them and bought so green stuff pads which will be fitted soon and then painted them red (my mates idea !!!)

and then came the serious weight reduction

got a bit crazy on the rear doors

BEFORE

AFTER

Offline jonnybravo

• Not said much yet
  • trackday weapon
and then came trying to increase the airflow under the bonnet

Offline jonnybravo

• Not said much yet
  • trackday weapon
UPDATES TO COME

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
and then came trying to increase the airflow under the bonnet

Why? You're not running boost so under bonnet temps are not crucial. Just build a sealed box around a cone, and remove the driver's side headlight, or get hella twins and remove the driver's side high beam. It'll create a lovely route for the cold air to come in.

Remove the crash structure behind the front bumper, it's heavy and doesn't add any rigidity. The holes you drilled in the bumper would have looked better if they were the same height and evenly spaced out too...

I gather this is being done on the cheap, but standard VW wheels are heavy (I'm talking about the bora ones too) and rolling weight is a big killer. Get some team dynamic pro race 1.2 wheels. They're ultra lightweight. Every kilo you loose from a rolling part equals to 3 kilos from the car, and at 10kg per wheel (compared to 15kg there about for a standard wheel) it's a 20kg rolling weight saving = 60kg. That's as if you took a medium sized bloke out of the car.

For brakes you should have looked at 288mm setups from the late GTI's and the VR6. They're obviously 8mm bigger but they're also thicker. Get some braided hoses too, I can highly recommend goodridge.

Look at getting poly windows too, they're much much lighter, nice weight saving there.

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Il be interested in seeing where this ends up. Carry on the good work. :smiley:

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Khare - its already got 288mm front brakes...

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Looks a great project, looking forward to more updates. :smiley:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares

Correct. I had a quick look and they looked like 280 calipers. My bad.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot

Correct. I had a quick look and they looked like 280 calipers. My bad.

The bigger giveaway was the fact it is a R reg :grin:

Offline jonnybravo

• Not said much yet
  • trackday weapon
Cheers for the feedback and ideas and obviously it's being done on a tight budget but things like better lighter wheels bucket seats, harnesses steering wheel etc etc will all come later but iv got a few hours to put in tnrw so expect a few more updates