Author Topic: New car assisted speed restriction system 2022  (Read 2822 times)

Offline joe6

• I live here
New car assisted speed restriction system 2022
« on: 21 August 2021, 09:50 »
Will the value/cost of new performance cars go down with the proposed EU regulations of automatic speed limit control using GPS and speed sign recognition and limiting engine power if trying to exceed the limit? Big brother will be controlling you.

Suggestion is there will no longer be any error allowance on speed limits but how accurate is the speedo?
Current system in my 2019 7.5 often shows incorrect speed limit in the display so I think an automated system could be dangerous with different vehicles detecting different speeds. There could also be the temptation to go at the maximum speed permitted even if conditions are adverse.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
Re: New car assisted speed restriction system 2022
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2021, 11:12 »
Having compared GPS with speedo, my speedo over reads by 2mph. I think it has to over read - all mechanical devices have a +/- tolerance so the datum has to be set as an 'over read' otherwise typically 50% of speedos will under read which we clearly can't have.  A caveat is that in the 'digital world' where we are all heading (so my employer tells me....) accuracy of speedos 'might' (?) be improving.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2021, 15:26 »
The Mk8 currently has all of the pieces to do this... just a small software change to make it happen. Travel assist already adjust cruise speed to whatever the speed limit is.

I believe Mk8's built right now (MY22) will have the new speed limiter software.

For a little while the system will be active at engine start, but you can go in and turn it off - like lane assist.

Mandatory and non-user controlled will come later.

Difference in speedo readouts is not really a problem. Speedos are accurate these days, besides not running up the arse of the car in front is still the driver's responsibility - just like it is today. Its just a "limit" not a target!!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2021, 08:00 »

For a little while the system will be active at engine start, but you can go in and turn it off - like lane assist.

Sounds like a pre take off go driving checklist is starting to form...... :grin:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2021, 10:30 »

Sounds like a pre take off go driving checklist is starting to form...... :grin:

Don't.... I already have a sizeable one for my Mk8!

Hopefully today I will suceed in killing lane assist as default off!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC