Author Topic: Khare's problem thread - Engine mount and screeching noise page 15. EUROPE TRIP!  (Read 16443 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: Got a problem with the cooling system
« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2010, 15:58 »
While moving it's fine, no overheating. I was even stopped in the petrol station for about 5 minutes and no overheating then....It's odd.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2010, 16:27 »
when you say 'it overheated' what was it doing and what did the temp gauge say
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2010, 17:00 »
Temp hit 110 on the water gauge.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2010, 17:43 »
Well, later on I'm going to check if the small pipe is blocked. The stat is definitely opening as the bottom rad pipe stays cold till 90 C then it heats up. Also I think it's fully opening as if not the engine would overheat when moving as well...I might need to buy a new thermo switch and water pump...We shall see.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2010, 19:06 »
OK, think I may have found the problem. The small hose returning to the header tank is blocked off. However, it seems to have a bung on the inside...Looks like it was factory made though....please shed light someone...

Offline PAZ GTi Concept

• Not said much yet
Ave you any pics m8? :huh:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
No sorry, the location of where the small pipe joins the big hose is at a corner so can't get the camera to see the bung.

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
Is the radiator getting hot when the stat is open.

Check it all over, and especially the top corner by the fan switch.

If the rad is hot then the pump should be working. If its cold in just the area of the fan switch then you have trapped air.

My fan cuts in and out at just above 90 and keeps the temp bang on 90.

Have you made sure the fan works by bridging the wires / terminals on the fan temp switch.

I'm not sure the small pipe being blocked will cause your problem but could be wrong. The secondhand one in my shed is also blocked and it seems to be blocked with something more solid than dried up coolant. Cant ever remember seeing water coming out of the one on my car either. not when running or when sqeezing it to bleed the system.

Could be still not be bled properly, a faulty pump, faulty fan switch or wiring, or a faulty new thermostat. Where did you buy the stat from. Heard many stories of faulty stats from ECP and GSF.

Paul

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
The stat is from GSF. Might have to take it back and get a new one off them.

Bit pointless having a pipe if it's blocked off then, fail on VW's part then....

Radiator is hot all over, but I'll check again. Could possibly be a faulty fan switch. I'll bridge the fan to see if it's working.

Danny did re-wire the fan switch, maybe he rewired it wrong?? Could be a possibility. Any way of checking? Also, to check the fan switch can I use a multimeter to check resistance or does it have to be tested on a pan full of hot water and a test lamp with 12v on it?

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
OK fan works perfectly well.

So it's either pump, thermoswitch or stat....