Author Topic: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread  (Read 789311 times)

Offline MXResonance

• Not said much yet
Re: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread
« Reply #890 on: 11 July 2015, 16:26 »
:smiley: Thanks everyone :)

All done now :)   Thanks for the tips/advice - I will post some pics if people want?

I've activated the DRL on/off menu in the infotainment - it does turn off both front and rear DRL's (not individually).

Looks very smart and easy to reverse.

Some places suggest there is just one pice of coding but I have inputed two - or I've activated two things for it to work.

James

Please post up some photos  :smiley:

Golf Mk7 GTI - DSG, Performance Pack, 5 Door, Pure White, 18" Austin, Discover Navigation, Keyless Entry, Factory Window Tints, Winter Pack - Collected 30/09/2015

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #891 on: 11 July 2015, 19:24 »
Is this what your looking for Ex http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=260248.345;wap2;wap2

Im on my phone so not sure it will link properly. But here's the coding:

STG09 (Central Electronics)> Access Authorisation: 31347 > Adaptation Channels> Channel (8 )-Leuchte27 NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion C27" > "Brake light on" set (default: nicht aktiv)

STG09 (Central Electronics)> Access Authorisation: 31347 > Adaptation Channels > Channel (10)-Leuchte27 NSL RC6-Dimming CD27" > on 100 Set(default: 0)

Auto coming home is also a good tweak.

http://vcds.greg-roberts.com/view-entries
P3ssa very helpfully posted this up in my "I blame you lot" thread.

I spent ages trying to get the car to accept the code for the full width rear brake lights today ably supervised by James75, we tried it in both his car and my own.
In both cars it would let us get so far then decide it wasn't possible and locked us out.
James has got several mods to work so it's not a cable problem (his Scanvinavian DRL's were activated easily enough whilst we were in the middle of being kicked out of the full brake light coding).

Anybody have any ideas on what I was doing wrong?
 :undecided:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline James75

• Not said much yet
  • Pure White Golf GTD.
« Reply #892 on: 11 July 2015, 21:30 »
:smiley: Thanks everyone :)

All done now :)   Thanks for the tips/advice - I will post some pics if people want?

I've activated the DRL on/off menu in the infotainment - it does turn off both front and rear DRL's (not individually).

Looks very smart and easy to reverse.

Some places suggest there is just one pice of coding but I have inputed two - or I've activated two things for it to work.

James

Please post up some photos  :smiley:

Okay here's some pictures

What happens is your rear lights are in effect on all the time.  That might seem daft but what I suspect is meant to happen is that rear DRL's means, rear lights on and probably dimmed, so I wonder if there is an option within the DRL options on VCDS to set the rear DRL luminosity.  So they would be on but when they switch to full lights, either manually or because you have the lights on auto, then they would be 100%. as opposed to say 75%. as DRL's (Any thoughts/discussion on this welcome)

Still very happy with them, I know they are DRL's because there specific menus in VCDS and I've added the switch off DRL facility (see pics).

I would be very interested to see the coding of a Scandinavian Golf to see how they work.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2015, 21:35 by James75 »
Pure White Golf GTD

Offline James75

• Not said much yet
  • Pure White Golf GTD.
« Reply #893 on: 11 July 2015, 21:31 »
Is this what your looking for Ex http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=260248.345;wap2;wap2

STG09 (Central Electronics)> Access Authorisation: 31347 > Adaptation Channels> Channel (8 )-Leuchte27 NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion C27" > "Brake light on" set (default: nicht aktiv)

STG09 (Central Electronics)> Access Authorisation: 31347 > Adaptation Channels > Channel (10)-Leuchte27 NSL RC6-Dimming CD27" > on 100 Set(default: 0)

I spent ages trying to get the car to accept the code for the full width rear brake lights today ably supervised by James75, we tried it in both his car and my own.
In both cars it would let us get so far then decide it wasn't possible and locked us out.
James has got several mods to work so it's not a cable problem (his Scanvinavian DRL's were activated easily enough whilst we were in the middle of being kicked out of the full brake light coding).

And thanks for the VCDS - as you said - your neighbours did give us funny looks - two men sat in a car looking at a laptop....

Very strange and any ideas on this would be helpful wouldn't it.

James
Pure White Golf GTD

Offline James75

• Not said much yet
  • Pure White Golf GTD.
« Reply #894 on: 11 July 2015, 21:54 »
Sorry i posted in error....

« Last Edit: 11 July 2015, 22:29 by James75 »
Pure White Golf GTD

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #895 on: 12 July 2015, 05:20 »

Exonian : Hi.

I apologise if you already know this, but each exterior light on a mk7 is controlled by a group of 19 x adaptation channels. In a paper that I wrote to explain how these channels work, I termed the group a Leuchte channel set .

Without going into a deep explanation of the structure of these channel sets, they must be defined correctly in the first adaptation channel (i.e. the adaptation channel in parenthesis (1)) and the correct memory location must be allocated in the adaptation channels with parentheses (2) and (3).

From then-on, each remaining bank of 16 x channels is sub-grouped into 4 x 4 channels. Each 4 channels controls what the light actually does and the order in which these functions are programmed determines the priority of the function when there is a clash.

In a number of adaptation maps that I have seen, there are some Leuchte channel sets that are not active. In my own car for example, the channel set Leuchte27 NSL RC6 (which does control the two inner tail lights and which  you used in your tweak attempt) is not active.
Here's how the first three channels for this Leuchte-set looks on my car

(1)-Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lasttyp 27 = not active
(2)-Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lampendefektbitposition 27 = 0
(3)-Leuchte27NSL RC6-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 27 = 0

As a brief explanation of how these 3 channels work, the lasttyp setting determines what type of light is installed whilst Lampendefektbitposition  and Fehlerort mittleres Byte are memory locations for fault monitoring (I think)

If your car has the same settings, making the changes that you have described in your post will do nothing because the first three Leuchte channels have not been properly defined.  It might be prudent to check how these adaptation channels are set in your car because it might explain what you have experienced.

So, the other way to program the two inner tail lights to act as a brake function is to modify the Leuchte channel sets:
Leuchte23SL HLC10 (left inner tail light)
Leuchte24SL HRA65 (right inner tail light)

However, because of the different ways that these channel sets can be factory programmed by VW, there is no universal set of instructions that will work for all models. It really depends on how VW programmed your particular model as to where in the 19 x adaptation channels  to place the "Brake Light"  and the "100" setting.
Cheers
Don

« Last Edit: 12 July 2015, 05:22 by dv52 »
103TSI Highline ROW (my13)

Offline James75

• Not said much yet
  • Pure White Golf GTD.
« Reply #896 on: 12 July 2015, 23:29 »

I apologise if you already know this, but each exterior light on a mk7 is controlled by a group of 19 x adaptation channels. In a paper that I wrote to explain how these channels work, I termed the group a Leuchte channel set .

Without going into a deep explanation of the structure of these channel sets, they must be defined correctly in the first adaptation channel (i.e. the adaptation channel in parenthesis (1)) and the correct memory location must be allocated in the adaptation channels with parentheses (2) and (3).

From then-on, each remaining bank of 16 x channels is sub-grouped into 4 x 4 channels. Each 4 channels controls what the light actually does and the order in which these functions are programmed determines the priority of the function when there is a clash.

In a number of adaptation maps that I have seen, there are some Leuchte channel sets that are not active. In my own car for example, the channel set Leuchte27 NSL RC6 (which does control the two inner tail lights and which  you used in your tweak attempt) is not active.

As a brief explanation of how these 3 channels work, the lasttyp setting determines what type of light is installed whilst Lampendefektbitposition  and Fehlerort mittleres Byte are memory locations for fault monitoring (I think)

If your car has the same settings, making the changes that you have described in your post will do nothing because the first three Leuchte channels have not been properly defined.  It might be prudent to check how these adaptation channels are set in your car because it might explain what you have experienced.

So, the other way to program the two inner tail lights to act as a brake function is to modify the Leuchte channel sets:

However, because of the different ways that these channel sets can be factory programmed by VW, there is no universal set of instructions that will work for all models. It really depends on how VW programmed your particular model as to where in the 19 x adaptation channels  to place the "Brake Light"  and the "100" setting.
Cheers
Don

Thanks for the reply Don.

That's very interesting, I'd really like to take some time and go through the light channels and the DRL channels.  i'd like it if the rear DRL's were slightly dimmed as DRL's then were 100% when the lights were on.

The problem we had was VCDS itself, it kept 'cutting out' - so it would a channel then it wouldn't and it would display an error message, then it might work again.

It wasn't reliably reading stored values.

So any thoughts, or if anyone has thoughts on that, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your post though, it is much appreciated.

James
Pure White Golf GTD

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #897 on: 14 July 2015, 20:17 »
It looks the same as when your car will look with side lights on, with the exception the side lights won't be lit. Basically you'll have drls on and rear lights.

I'm confused now  :huh:
If I put the light switch to side lights, my DL's are on at the front with the rear lights on. So for me the only difference between DRL's and sidelights is the rear lights being illuminated.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #898 on: 15 July 2015, 01:49 »
It looks the same as when your car will look with side lights on, with the exception the side lights won't be lit. Basically you'll have drls on and rear lights.

I'm confused now  :huh:
If I put the light switch to side lights, my DL's are on at the front with the rear lights on. So for me the only difference between DRL's and sidelights is the rear lights being illuminated.

Yeah and with the "scandinavian drl mod" when you have your drls on (so auto selected or off) the drls and rear lights will be illuminated.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #899 on: 16 July 2015, 14:51 »

Cheers
Don

Thanks very much for the excellent reply Don.
I've not had chance to plug it all in yet but will have another play at the weekend hopefully.
I'll report back as no doubt any info will be helpful to others. :afro:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner