Author Topic: TT help me out please  (Read 2488 times)

Offline tony_danza

• Not said much yet
Re: TT help me out please
« Reply #10 on: 23 October 2008, 16:28 »
no it was this one http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=91043.0

Hmm - just out of interest, who is UK-MKIVs "resident bully" referred to in that thread, TT?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2008, 16:45 »
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2008, 16:46 »

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 23 October 2008, 16:48 »
I remeber the thread, it was about not revving it in neutal. Something to do with it being bad due to no load on the engine.

Yes, but there were two very specific concerns.  The one about revving with no load on an engine is applicable to non-turbo engines too.

I think Mike was specifically referring to turbos?  :undecided:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 23 October 2008, 16:52 »
I think the note was dont rev the car and then switch off the engine as the turbo would still be spinning and turning off the engine is cutting the oil supply from it.

Yup, exactly.  Incidentally, I reckon my estimate of 180,000 rpms was a little conservative.  I reckon the K03 will spin up to around 220,000 to 240,000 rpms.  Because some chap with massive Garrett thingys (some big GT-sommat, with 650ish bhp from a B5 RS4 saloon) is recording 180,000 rpms from his two turbos.
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 23 October 2008, 16:53 »

Hmm - just out of interest, who is UK-MKIVs "resident bully" referred to in that thread, TT?

Best "let sleeping dogs lie" on that one mate.  :wink:  :smiley:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #16 on: 23 October 2008, 16:54 »
I was refferring to turbos because on a SA detailing forum I posted a tip about simply giving a car a short blip of the throttle to remove old dirt etc in the exhaust when detailing a vehicle....

(Obviosuly you do this after you have scrubbed the exhaust pipe, poured engine cleaner in it etc to reove excess water and to dry it).

I made mentionn that a detailer should not do this with a turbo'ed car cos it would damage the turbo....and I sorta got confused and mssed your explanation up and wanted to check that I was speaking the truth which turns out my story was slightly warped. So I posted the link to that thread there so that people could make sense of what I was saying  :lipsrsealed:.

Thanks everyone.

Mike

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline tony_danza

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 23 October 2008, 17:34 »

Best "let sleeping dogs lie" on that one mate.  :wink:  :smiley:

Yes, I read your OT - The "dark side" thread, some interesting comments on there.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 23 October 2008, 17:38 »
I was refferring to turbos because on a SA detailing forum I posted a tip about simply giving a car a short blip of the throttle to remove old dirt etc in the exhaust when detailing a vehicle....

(Obviosuly you do this after you have scrubbed the exhaust pipe, poured engine cleaner in it etc to reove excess water and to dry it).

I made mentionn that a detailer should not do this with a turbo'ed car cos it would damage the turbo....and I sorta got confused and mssed your explanation up and wanted to check that I was speaking the truth which turns out my story was slightly warped. So I posted the link to that thread there so that people could make sense of what I was saying  :lipsrsealed:.

Thanks everyone.

Mike

Post the link to the detailing forum thread, and I'll check out what you have said.  :wink:

And get some pics of the Pajero!  :tongue:  :smiley:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #19 on: 23 October 2008, 18:12 »
Thanks tt. I cant post the link cos im using my cell. But will do so tomorrow . . . . Dont take my word for it though. Its my valedictory tomorrow so might only happen on monday. Lol. With the pajero. . . We cant track the smell down. Been trying. Its just done a 400km trip and off road and has been detailed and it still smells. The only mod it has is a straight through custom powerflow exhaust. . . What must i take a pic of? lol

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.