Author Topic: My random posting about minor irritations...  (Read 5476 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
My random posting about minor irritations...
« on: 16 September 2007, 17:30 »
I could not resist. Call me a spoil sport.

Ok. Its been over two months sice the GTI was last washed.  :sick: So today i could not take it anymore. Seeing black Monza Rims evertime I looked at the car and actually seeing the dirt on her drove me mad.

So. i check the weather.
Monday: 18 Degrees (Sunny)
Tuesday: 27 Degrees (Sunny
Wednesday: 30 Degrees (Sunny Doh!)
Thursday: 24 Degrees (Partly cloudy)

Ok. So its safe to wash the car. Pull her out and whip out the ever so handy Jetwasher.
I spray the car done making sure that all the dirt is off and to cut a long story short. I clean, detail and photograph her.

While cleaning the car i noticed a few minor design flaws. Some very Interesting things that I had never seen before.

1. Why is it that no matter what you do water always somehow comes out the VW Emblem on the boot no matter how many times you dry it?
2. Why are the shiny plastic peices between the doors scratched to bits when nobody ever closes the door by touching them? (Rule in the house. Only ever shut the door when holding the handle) and its not one door. Its all of them.  :sick:
3. Why do the rear vents inside somehow seem to be dirtier than the front ones?
4. Why can i never seem get the honeycromb grill dry???
5. Why is it that the cd player cant handle anything with treble? Is it just me or do the treble speakers/tweeters whatever overpower the subs?
6. Why the heck does the cupholder in the centerconsole never work? Bye bye daddies new D900i Samsung (2 Days old. Coffeeee incident)
7. Why is that after two months of normal slow driving (Mom is there something you wanna tell me?) I had to throw the chamois/shammy away because of all the rubber on the back bumper? Its front wheel drive!!!??
8. Why do i have to fix the rear cupholders every weekend?
9. And finally. Why is there a huge scratch on the honeycromb grill?

There was other stuff i noticed. But i cant think of them now. This sounds stupid but honestly? They design such stunning cars but small things like these.. Who comes up with the designs?

What other small things do you guys (and girls) notice about your GTI's that irritate you?
I will post pictures on wednesday after I get back from camp......................... :grin:
IS there anyway you can get rid of a scratch on plastic? Will post a pic of the scratch :sick:

Mike :smiley:

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
Re: My random posting about minor irritations...
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2007, 17:53 »
One more niggle there and you could have had your very own top ten :grin:

With me it is more the way that the missis treats the car that niggles me :wink:

If pushed:-

Pescara's are too hard to clean and it is impossible to clean the calipers without taking the alloys off.

When you open the rear hatch to dry inside the frame after cleaning it, all the excess water drips INSIDE the car - why couldn't they have designed it so that the drips collected and dripped into the channels?

The plastic next to the side bolsters on the seat do not look like they were designed for the car and look too cheap.

Errr...that's about it.
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline TagnuT

• I live here
  • Edition 30
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2007, 21:10 »
To clean the calipers I bought a wheel brush from Halfrouds and bent it to a gentle curve. With it I can manage to get most of the calipers clean.  :wink:

I know what you mean about the rear hatch, you end up opening it half way for a few seconds for the water to drain away.

The stereo could be better..ok blah blah blah, fit your own head unit  :rolleyes: But after spending all this money on a good car (and not wanting to spend anymore money), I expected it to sound better than the one in my MK iv that I had just sold  :angry:

The wheels aren't too bad, not as easy as the Avus IIs on the Mkiv. I treated them with wheel sealer and they come clean quite easily.

« Last Edit: 16 September 2007, 21:54 by TagnuT »
Bye Bye Edition 30

Offline speedynz

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2007, 21:40 »
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, cleaning Pescara's. :sad:

Life,

Draining,

Away.
EDITION 30.
I couldn't eat a whole one.

Offline TagnuT

• I live here
  • Edition 30
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2007, 21:54 »
Must keep cleaning wheels..................................   :laugh:

Keep cleaning wheels must..................................  :laugh:

Cleaning wheels must keep................................... :laugh:
Bye Bye Edition 30

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2007, 00:41 »
How about VW's cheapskatedness for not supplying a force-field to keep those bl00dy flies from committing Harikari on the front of my lovely clean car :grin:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline hlobban

• Not said much yet
  • GTI on order...
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2007, 09:59 »
How about VW's cheapskatedness for not supplying a force-field to keep those bl00dy flies from committing Harikari on the front of my lovely clean car :grin:

I'll second that motion!!  :grin:
GTI has arrived!
Black three door with Leather Seats, 18'' Monzas, Xenons, Cruise Control, IPOD prep and Winter pack.

Offline mafri

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2007, 18:38 »
My random irritation:

DSG paddles are arranged so that left=change down and right=change up. The high-line display shows '6 5 4 3 2 1', meaning that changing up with the right paddle means that the highlighted moves left towards the higher gear.....

How difficult would '1 2 3 4 5 6' have been.....?
Diamond Black Golf GTI, DSG, Monza IIs, Cruise, MFSW, Rear Tints and Ipod. VRmmmmmmmm!

Phil mcavity

« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2007, 19:06 »
or making the 1  2  3 in bigger numbers would of been nice!

Offline teebee

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2007, 19:19 »
or making the 1  2  3 in bigger numbers would of been nice!

Agree with that.
The gear you're in should be in a bold display, fag-packet size, with nowt else in the window when you're in paddle mode.

Also, door speakers buzz like hell with even a little bass.*

The dash rattles, albeit intermittently.*

*Not good enough at this money.