Author Topic: Something interesting- But im confused.  (Read 2820 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
Something interesting- But im confused.
« on: 21 August 2007, 15:22 »
I found this on the net. The guy involved only had a few scrapes but what confuses me are the airbags.

It seems like one of the airbags came out the airvent?? Besides that. Looking at the passenger airbag. How does that work? It breaks the dash i assume and then what? The part has a hinge? Or does it just go flying randomly?

Its the same with the driver airbag. What happened to the Vw badge? IS that a hinge? I cant see. Its rather worrying.  :undecided: I dont want badges and large peices of plastic hitting me in the face in an accident.

I looked up airbags and not one site could tell me anything.
Somebody please shed some light on this.

A bit worrying.... :lipsrsealed:

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Simonet

• Here all the time
  • Pearl Black GTI ED30
Re: Something interesting- But im confused.
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2007, 15:30 »
the surface in front of the air bag is thin enough to split and does not come flying off. I think you'll find the passenger airbag has come from infront of the passenger, and not from above the airvents (but it does look like that, and where have they gone!?!?  :huh:

poor Golf

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2007, 15:31 »
lol thats something I have ALWAYS wondered, but never been that bothered about it to ask. Someone enlighten us!

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2007, 15:35 »
i reckon by asking you're tempting fate!!!  :lipsrsealed:

i'd rather not know to be honest  :laugh:

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2007, 15:36 »
By the way. He had a head on with a Merc SLK500 and this was at 30mph. The Merc looked so so  :sick:

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

• I live here
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2007, 15:54 »
Find a quiet car park and some random car, then start kicking the front bumper til the airbags pop, you could get a friend to film the in-car action before running off giggling like a couple of kids  :laugh:

:nerd: This is meant as a joke, but if you decide to take it seriously, be sure to put the film on you tube wont you  :grin:

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2007, 15:58 »
Find a quiet car park and some random car, then start kicking the front bumper til the airbags pop, you could get a friend to film the in-car action before running off giggling like a couple of kids  :laugh:

:nerd: This is meant as a joke, but if you decide to take it seriously, be sure to put the film on you tube wont you  :grin:

Hmmm... Beware all you Honda Civics and Ford Focus ST Drivers  :rolleyes: :evil:

Join our group now!

TeddyKGB

« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2007, 18:06 »
Imaging havin that lot backing onto your house :shocked:

someone asked.. I believe the lower spec golfs dont have the air vent. It's just a coin tray :sick:

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2007, 23:54 »
OK, I'm no expert, but if you look closely at the picture, there is a small black bit on the left hand side, as circled in picture linked below, I think the airbag comes out of the top the passenger side of the dash, and in this picture its so deflated, it is resting on the centre vent at an angle which makes it look like it emanates from there.

[img=http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9849/golfinsidesmashed2yk9.th.jpg]

« Last Edit: 21 August 2007, 23:56 by 2007GTI »
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline pany

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2007, 14:22 »
08micsta, the cover of the wheel and the dash is very thin and prescored, in some cars you can see it really easily. The airbag then rips through these scores as it inflates, so no badges to hit you in the face.

Unfortunately I know this from experience of having a HGV on my bonnet, though luckily it was an old car and not the GTI.