Author Topic: 8v digi engine issues - help needed please  (Read 475 times)

Offline wookieGTI

• Not said much yet
8v digi engine issues - help needed please
« on: 05 December 2008, 13:14 »
On start up in the mornings the car starts fine,then after a few seconds while idling the revs fluctuate and drop and stall.then starting the car again just revs high then stalls again.eventually after several attempts it runs and drives but while driving it jerks about.

what sort of a problem am i dealing with?shes had new plugs and leads within 4months,all anti-freezed up oil changed regularily,fuel filter changed today.

i did get told it mite be something to do with idle stabiliser not doing its job at keeping the revs up?

what you guys think.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: 8v digi engine issues - help needed please
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2008, 13:25 »
have a look at the idle switch, make sure you hear it click as throttle shuts, and check the wires to the plug on the back of the throttle havent snapped.  Check over all the vacuum pipes, not forgettign the blanked off one on the back of the throttle body.  Checkthe rubber bung in the rocker cover where the round black valve sits too, these often crack around the lip which is difficult to spot.  Make sure the oil cap is on right too  :grin:

Also get a new ECU temp sender from VAG, if its a late 88 on it'll be a blue 2 pin one, if its an early 88/late 87 ti'll be a white one.  Have a look in the coolant flange on the front of the block to confirm.

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.