Author Topic: Wont start 16v KR  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Haribo!

• I live here
Wont start 16v KR
« on: 01 September 2007, 07:50 »
hi guys slight problem, my cars been having starting issues lately, it would turn over but just not start, and then suddenly it would work after countless attempts and once it even just suddenly died at a set of lights and wouldn't start up for a good few mins.  last night it decided it wasn't going to ever start so its been left at my mates house, i think its the fuel pump cause its not buzzing any more,, does that sound right before i go changing it?  also does anyone have one that i can get really quickly?

Cheers guys

Offline chubby

• Not said much yet
Re: Wont start 16v KR
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2007, 16:22 »
it could be overheating and seizing. problem is there is two 1 in the tank 1 under the car . you would have to check both of them.

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2007, 17:00 »
main pump will still fuel the car if the lift pump fails, it just needs to work harder!
If the main pump isn't buzzing, try a new relay.

Offline Haribo!

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2007, 19:55 »
right, because i was stranded i got the RAC out, and it turns out the fuel pumps are fine, he had a play about and discovered that there was no live to the ignition coil, or a little plug below the dizzy or that big plug on the ECU type thingy under the scuttle panel. it then managed to randomly start and i got it home and now it wont start again, the RAC guy said it could be the immobilizer playing up so i phoned the guy that fitted it (its a Clifford 650 or something..?) he had me do a test which proved it works fine so its not that, so to sum it all up...  it turns over but doesn't have the live feed to the things i attempted to mention above so doesnt start, its not the fuel pump or the relay or the other fuel pump or the immobilizer. and all this is intimitant and rarely it starts.

Offline pork_pie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2007, 00:36 »
your air inlet ducting hasnt come loose has it?  i had a similar problem, and the duct had poped off the throttle body, didnt notice it to begin with.

Mk2 16v is off the road :(  Mk3 8v has taken its place :)

Offline Haribo!

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2007, 06:54 »
would that cause me to loose the live feed to the ignition coil tho?   :undecided:

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2007, 09:58 »
make sure all your fuses and relays are healthy and seated correctly

Offline Haribo!

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2007, 17:28 »
everything seems fine there...

Offline Mew