Author Topic: work done so far on the vr6  (Read 2421 times)

Offline mush

• Here all the time
work done so far on the vr6
« on: 28 July 2012, 09:17 »
ok so some of you guys know i'm doing a mk2 vr and slowly getting round to taking the engine out the mk3 donor car which is proving to be going well even doing the work myself.

work done so far

removed front bumper
slam panel
radiator fans
intake manifold
expansion tank
air box
battery tray

work done yesterday

loosened exhaust on down pipe (was a pain took 2hrs 30mins for x6 bolts)
driveshaft bolts (these were what i was dreading however wasn't to bad just very hard to get to)

so my plan is next and i need some advice on this,

i'm going to be lifting the engine off the subframe with a crane and i need to know what else
i need to do before ripping it out, (i mean what other parts i need to undo or have to loosen or remove before lifting it out).

i have everything ready just need some final advice from you guys

MK2 golf 16v :-)

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
Re: work done so far on the vr6
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2012, 09:49 »
Im asuuming you have all the loom & injection stripped of engine, powersteering pipes disconnected, gearbox mechanism cables disconnected

basically you want a bare engine and gearbox that has nothing connected to chassis in any way. Then secure engine on crane and start undoing the mounts with the crane taking the strain of the mounts

Offline mush

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2012, 10:16 »
Im asuuming you have all the loom & injection stripped of engine, powersteering pipes disconnected, gearbox mechanism cables disconnected

basically you want a bare engine and gearbox that has nothing connected to chassis in any way. Then secure engine on crane and start undoing the mounts with the crane taking the strain of the mounts

hi gambit

i havent done any of the things youve mentioned, however the loom is the next job, this may be a a silly question but cant i leave the injectors still connected? didnt want to mix them up, also the engine loom
ive been told it runs behind the master cylinder..is this correct?

Offline mush

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2012, 12:27 »
i also need advice on the driveshafts like i say ive removed all bolts thats all so far.. and was wondering if i can pull them away from the engine so i dont have to remove the cotter pin and gubins from the disc and hub.

can i turn the steering and get them out that way really not sure>

sounds silly what i'm asking but i'm limited to space and need the engine out first (leaving it on wheels) then having to roll it back out the garage to get my mk2 in there to work on,

erm i also havent got use of the crane for long  :undecided:

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2012, 13:52 »
The less you have on engine and gearbox, the less will break when lifting. Injectors can be left in just remove harness, fuel rail etc.

should be enough movement in driveshafts to pull away from box without having to touch wheelside of driveshaft, and yep turning steering wheel will give extra movement to pull clear of box

Offline mush

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2012, 14:31 »
The less you have on engine and gearbox, the less will break when lifting. Injectors can be left in just remove harness, fuel rail etc.

should be enough movement in driveshafts to pull away from box without having to touch wheelside of driveshaft, and yep turning steering wheel will give extra movement to pull clear of box

thanks gambit you've saved me alot of time i didnt try pulling them as time was getting on and just removing the spline bolts broke me  :lipsrsealed:, and to add had to cook tea when going in as well as mrs was busy watching tv  :rolleyes:

yep will remove fuel rail for sure.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2012, 15:15 »
Heater matrix pipes. Everytime I change an engine I forget about these. U can pull the loom out with the engine but its easier otherway. Clutch pipe of the cylinder. Gear linkage and she should come out

Offline mush

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2012, 15:48 »
Heater matrix pipes. Everytime I change an engine I forget about these. U can pull the loom out with the engine but its easier otherway. Clutch pipe of the cylinder. Gear linkage and she should come out

hi lemski

is most of the loom behind the master cylinder? i suppose i'm worrying about nothing like i always do, anyways always best to get some advice in my eyes.

anything else you can think of to consider dude?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2012, 19:59 »
Its plugged in behind there. If u unplug em from the fusebox and take the mastercylinder bolts of. 4x13mm and a pin holdin it to the pedal. U can then feed it through and know that its all still connected to the engine were u want it. Can't think of much else, if u had the room u could have dropped the subframe and just bolted it straight into the mk2.

Offline mush

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2012, 17:16 »
Its plugged in behind there. If u unplug em from the fusebox and take the mastercylinder bolts of. 4x13mm and a pin holdin it to the pedal. U can then feed it through and know that its all still connected to the engine were u want it. Can't think of much else, if u had the room u could have dropped the subframe and just bolted it straight into the mk2.

Cheers lemster hopefully I plan to remove the engine in the next few weeks I only get 1 day a week on it at the moment would love to spend more time on it but full time job and girlfriend slow things down. I was thinking while the subframes still attached to drop it back down on wheels and dint the leg to make room for the monster vr6. was a bit worried about it coming off axel stands with a big sledge hammer.

Do you know if the rear engine mount still needs 15mm off with the mk2 cross member and duffs solid engine mount?
« Last Edit: 29 July 2012, 17:19 by mush »