Author Topic: Wont turn then clocks reset  (Read 2766 times)

Offline golfmk4owner

• GTI forum regular
Re: Wont turn then clocks reset
« Reply #20 on: 15 November 2011, 16:32 »
just a thought but if it was ignition timing would it still spin over but just not start? Because this isnt even turning
2005 GT TDI 140 - Standard as F@k

Offline weazgti

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 16 November 2011, 08:14 »
if its too far advanced it wont turn over. piston is on the way up on the compression stroke but the plug is firing too early trying to push it back down

Offline golfmk4owner

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 18 November 2011, 21:08 »
Right guys i connected jump leads off my mk5 golf gt today, still the same though. So i can rule out battery. When i put a lead from the positive battery to the spade on the starter it clicks but doesnt turn which screams of failed starter to me, but then i had the same thing on the starter that i removed which was working.
I also tried earthing the motor directly with a lead from the starter housing to battery negative to rule out faulty earth but no joy. Im giving up to be honest.
Oh yeh i also took the plugs out and leads off so its nothing to do with ignition. The thing just will not turn.

Offline golfmk4owner

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 19 November 2011, 00:12 »
Its on an uphill driveway in a small garage  :undecided:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 19 November 2011, 09:01 »
So the bendix is spining right when the starter motor is off and you force 12V on to it?
 Let me know if your bendix will engage and it spins freely off car!
You could have a broken bendix and its just stuck on the block?

Offline golfmk4owner

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 19 November 2011, 09:50 »
Well the one i took off with exactly the same symptoms came out and span when i put 12v to it

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 19 November 2011, 10:17 »
Look down the hole where the starter sits and check for any loose bits of metal you might need a torch inspect for any signs of metal.
So far from my understanding there is 12V to the starter from ignition key right? (IF NOT POSSIBLY SOMETHING IS EARTHING OUT SO YOU DON'T GET ENOUGH CRANKING AMPAGE POWER TO START)
But its not spinning when its mounted to the block? Right?
When its off the car it spins nice and freely when 12V is applied right?
If all conditions are met then something in your block is stuck I have a feeling the cog that the bendix sits on is jammed somehow the only situation I've come across is when the shaft of that cog has broken and now jams up the whole cranking shaft. Which is why I want you to bum start it becuase if it starts without the the starter the car is fine and the starter crank shaft has shat its self somehow?
 :undecided:

PS try disconecting the alternator cable to battery and see what happens!

Offline herr schimdt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 20 November 2011, 08:29 »
do you have friends with cars if so tie a rope to your cor and a rope to there car get them to drive away and you wont be in the garage anymore then put car in gear with ignition on lift clutch and see if it starts