Author Topic: wont start!  (Read 3096 times)

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
wont start!
« on: 13 July 2011, 20:44 »
Just finished work got back to the car and it won't start, it trying to turn over but nothing. It has been parked on a kerb all day long but I've parked like that before and never had any problems, but could it be where its been on a angle no fuel is getting to the engine? Or is that just silly. There are no leaks I can see anywhere but the imobiliser seems to be acting a bit funny but if it was surely the car wouldn't even turn over as when it is active the car won't turn over. At a loose end and waiting for the rac to come out!

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
Re: wont start!
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2011, 13:51 »
I wouldnt think its the angle the car sits at but dont rule any thing out!

If you say your imobiliser is acting up your fualt probably lies there. Can you hear the fuel pump priming? Some imobilisers dont cut the circuit to the starter motor, its cut to the fuel pump.

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2011, 14:48 »
well the RAC man after much head scratching he found that the casue was to do a falulty wire in the fuel pump relay, so some dogey wire fix that i was unaware of but a wire bridging the connection. just need to pop to euro car parts to get a new one but the rac guy replaced the loose wire with a new one as a temp fix

Must say the RAC have helped me out many time ssince owning the mk2 money well spent!  :grin:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2011, 15:01 »
well the RAC man after much head scratching he found that the casue was to do a falulty wire in the fuel pump relay, so some dogey wire fix that i was unaware of but a wire bridging the connection. just need to pop to euro car parts to get a new one but the rac guy replaced the loose wire with a new one as a temp fix

Must say the RAC have helped me out many time ssince owning the mk2 money well spent!  :grin:

Some systems allow the car to turn over, mine did, but it wont start as the alarm immobilises the fuel pump and coil. so no spark or fuel.

with what the RAC have done, make sure you don't leave your ignition on without the engine running as the pump will keep on running, bear this in mind if you were to crash.  engine may cut out but pump will keep going.. dramatic but worth noting. get that relay ASAP.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 14 July 2011, 15:38 by SoundillusioN »

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2011, 15:16 »
Yep - certainly worth having some sort of cover on these motor's!

More often than not its a simple fix like what you just said also.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2011, 17:41 »
Yep - certainly worth having some sort of cover on these motor's!

More often than not its a simple fix like what you just said also.

i have full AA.. breakdown.. homestart.. relay.. etc etc with my bank account  :cool:
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2011, 18:12 »

Some systems allow the car to turn over, mine did, but it wont start as the alarm immobilises the fuel pump and coil. so no spark or fuel.

with what the RAC have done, make sure you don't leave your ignition on without the engine running as the pump will keep on running, bear this in mind if you were to crash.  engine may cut out but pump will keep going.. dramatic but worth noting. get that relay ASAP.  :smiley:

yeah im going to get this sorted asap! been like this since ive had the bloody car almost a yr and a half! but the RAC guy did like the car and as said at first couldnt figure out what was going on, he did say its been a while since he had to work on a older car  :grin: but again i think ive used the RAC 4 times in the last yr and always got the car working so will be sticking with them  :smiley:

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2011, 18:15 »
I believe Preventative maintenance is better than cure. As I put my life in its 130mph hands a lot I do something on it most weekends, and have a little check over things. I do appreciate not everything can be guaranteed until its too late, I also have breakdown cover just incase I'm miles from home. I carry my work tools most of the time anyway, and many a time a bolt/nut/tie wrap/pair of grips/other parts from botttom of tool bag have got me out the sh!t! I'd hate to wait for a tow truck if it was something so simple to fix but I wasn't prepared...!

Offline Craigwilson

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2011, 00:13 »
Ive had mine for over ten years without breakdown cover only every had two problems with it but still managed to nurse it home both times one was serious though the brake calliper bolt fell out!!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #9 on: 15 July 2011, 11:27 »
I believe Preventative maintenance is better than cure. As I put my life in its 130mph hands a lot I do something on it most weekends, and have a little check over things. I do appreciate not everything can be guaranteed until its too late, I also have breakdown cover just incase I'm miles from home. I carry my work tools most of the time anyway, and many a time a bolt/nut/tie wrap/pair of grips/other parts from botttom of tool bag have got me out the sh!t! I'd hate to wait for a tow truck if it was something so simple to fix but I wasn't prepared...!

Same, I wouldn't have made it to Volksfest if I didn't have the little tool kit I put together for it.