Author Topic: Rear caliper handbrake overhaul  (Read 11651 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: Rear caliper handbrake overhaul
« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2009, 17:30 »
the best you can do is as chuff says really. maybe the mechanisms so gunked up its not moving fully. the spring will be rusty as well no doubt

Offline sidecarphil

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 05 April 2009, 17:45 »
i rebuilt some MR2 rear calipers once

never again they were complete c*&t's and they never really worked well after and they leaked after about 4 months !!!

what you have to do is get the caliper in a vice and work the handbrake lever till the piston is screwed out then clean the piston fit new seals and try to get the piston back in by turning it and pushing

honestly mate just buy a new item  :wink: :wink:

heres a link for honda rear calipers

http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/honda/brakes/rebuild.html

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
« Reply #12 on: 05 April 2009, 18:28 »
I don't have anything against MK3/4 calipers - I just don't want to waste money on them and time trying to find them in a scrapyard - when the calipers I have work fine, bar a gummed up handbrake on one side.

Its not inoperable - its just running at 60% of what it should be, I'm sure a little cleanup will free up the mech and get the handbrake working right.

If the hyd. aspect of the caliper wasn't working - I wouldn't bother. But the handbrake mech should be relatively easy to fix.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #13 on: 05 April 2009, 18:30 »
bah your just not scene without mk4 caliper

Offline richard s

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 05 April 2009, 19:54 »
there is a post on here somewhere and it is something along the lines of prize out the handbrake arms rub with wet or dry till rust is gone cover with grease and tap back in

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #15 on: 06 April 2009, 08:37 »
if the lever is moving properly then the mech inside the caliper is probably trashed, thanks to someone crushing the life out of the piston in a vice rather than using the correct windback tool.
usually when the mech fails all it does is stick shut, no problem with the force of it just it wont come off on its own
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 06 April 2009, 10:26 »
I've called a few scrappies and no-one has any MK3s, but he says they've got a few SEATs etc. Do any of those calipers fit?

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 06 April 2009, 10:37 »
I've called a few scrappies and no-one has any MK3s, but he says they've got a few SEATs etc. Do any of those calipers fit?

Don't forget mk4s too mate  :smiley:

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 06 April 2009, 10:47 »
MK4s are a no go - I need to fit them asap and don't have time to wait on braided lines.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #19 on: 06 April 2009, 11:50 »
In the time you've wasted mithering about this in your personal life and on this forum you probably could have earned the £60 to buy a replacement caliper.

Better cost:benefit analysis needed, Ben.

G2 calipers are renowned for seizing handbrake mechs.  This is why people are recommending you fit later calipers that don't suffer with this fault.  That is a permanent solution to your problem.

Sometimes it's worth going the extra mile and fitting the upgrade to avoid repeated regular failures caused by the elderly and poor design of the original - in the long run you'll save time, which = saved money.

Man-up and do the job properly.

Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.