Author Topic: Chip or re-map?  (Read 7107 times)

Offline kil2002

• Not said much yet
Re: Chip or re-map?
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2005, 22:01 »
Hi m8 i recently got my gti ecu remapped from a guy called jason for ?80 heres his website www.chippeduk.com. does mainly bms but can really do all cars.
cheerz

Offline simoncjohn

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2005, 17:28 »
before chipping i would recommend three upgrades...

1. Decent Exhaust System (mine's a Powerflow from cat back)
2. Good induction kit (I have a large K&N with cold feed straight from the lower grill)
3. Fuel boost valve - there is a  problem associated with 2.0 8v gti's - if you go with the first two options  this should give you a power increase of about 15bhp however - not bad 13% gain but you'll find that the induction kit is sucking in too much air. basically there is a delay with the fuel injectors which results in a delay in acceleration and when you get to about 5000rpm the engine starts to back off - here's where the boost valve comes in. Essentially you can alter the boost which basically rams fuel into the injectors a t a constant pressure resulting in no power lag, crisp pulling and much more torque imy car now pulls and keeps pulling all the way to 6000rpm and above - makes it drive better to!!

With these three mods my R reg 2.0 8v GTi now kicks out 150bhp and has shattering accelaration and more to the point is lot of fun!! plus it drives sooo much better.

Everyone goes on about the 16v - yeah sure its faster but you have to wind it up and keep it up - the 8v has bags more torque and is much more drivable in my humble opinion.

Chipping next on my list - i wanna get into VR6 territory but without the fuel consumption and running costs!

Simon.

Offline starfishcracker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 21 February 2005, 14:19 »
That's all very interesting - but, what about fuel consumption???

If it's got higher fuel pressure, surely it will use a heap more fuel and i already spend a fortune!

i've already got the induction kit and cat back system. Chipping gives you more power but more economy also, just wondering how this works, because it would be a hell of a lot cheaper i would imagine!

let me know what your average MPG is and what kind of driving!

Thanks in advance!

steve

Offline kil2002

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2005, 22:03 »
Hi m8 can u also let us no what boost valve u got on urs and any pointers on wer to buy it from :smiley:

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 22 February 2005, 09:22 »
before chipping i would recommend three upgrades...

1. Decent Exhaust System (mine's a Powerflow from cat back)
2. Good induction kit (I have a large K&N with cold feed straight from the lower grill)
3. Fuel boost valve - there is a? problem associated with 2.0 8v gti's - if you go with the first two options? this should give you a power increase of about 15bhp however - not bad 13% gain but you'll find that the induction kit is sucking in too much air. basically there is a delay with the fuel injectors which results in a delay in acceleration and when you get to about 5000rpm the engine starts to back off - here's where the boost valve comes in. Essentially you can alter the boost which basically rams fuel into the injectors a t a constant pressure resulting in no power lag, crisp pulling and much more torque imy car now pulls and keeps pulling all the way to 6000rpm and above - makes it drive better to!!

With these three mods my R reg 2.0 8v GTi now kicks out 150bhp and has shattering accelaration and more to the point is lot of fun!! plus it drives sooo much better.

Everyone goes on about the 16v - yeah sure its faster but you have to wind it up and keep it up - the 8v has bags more torque and is much more drivable in my humble opinion.

Chipping next on my list - i wanna get into VR6 territory but without the fuel consumption and running costs!

Simon.

Sounds a bit optimistic to me.
Exhaust/filter/remap should only see about 140 ish bhp on an 8v.
To get to vr6 territory you will need some serious engine work or a turbo ?:laugh:
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline simoncjohn

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 25 February 2005, 20:24 »
My car was tuned by RPE in Cullompton, Devon and on their rolling road my 8v throws out just under 150bhp.  By fitting a big K&N induction kit and powerflow exhaust system the bhp rose from 115bhp standard up to 130bhp with these two mods. by adding an FSE Power Boost Valve (link http://www.proven-products.co.uk/products/fse_power_boost_valves.htm) this raised the power to 142bhp, after 600 miles so to allow the seals to bed in it was back to the tuners for a third rolling road test and boost adjustment after a bit of fine tuning the bhp was increased to 149bhp. Fuel consuption on average urban driving 27-32mpg depending on how i feel (i drive 7 miles into exeter and back on an A road i get anything up to 34mpg!), cruising and back roads i had 37mpg going to Barnstable in north devon on Wednesday. In terms of fuel consumption you can run the boost higher and you'll get less mpg/more power but in doing this you could run the risk of destroying your engine. I got my valve installed through my tuners and it sooo makes a difference, honesty.
I will be looking a a superchip which should give around an extra 12-15bhp which would take it up to 165bhp (not that far off a vr6!!) but it's the torque i'm after rather than power...

I hope this helps and answers your questions - if you would like to see pics of the mods let me know.
Simon.

i love my 8v but i'd so like an unmolested VR6........or a scooby.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2005, 00:14 »
I've only got a k&n panel and a drilled box on my vr6.
f**k me i must have at least 210 bhp now ?:laugh:
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline raylee25

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 22 June 2006, 14:04 »
I got a Golf GTI 16V and 2 years ago I had my chip re-mapped by AMD in Banbury. They do a before and after test and let you have a test drive before you pay(£299). Before the re-map, I was getting 167BHP standard and after I got 182BHP. These readings are from the wheels and not from the flywheel. I have recently had a miltek exhaust fitted so I reckon I should be getting around 190BHP. Apart from the re-map and exhaust, everything else is standard.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 24 June 2006, 00:05 »
167bhp at the wheels on a 16v, i don't think so!!  :grin:

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #19 on: 24 June 2006, 08:24 »
165bhp from a 2E without headwork... hrmm... Hat and eating comes to mind.

this 'power boost valve' sounds exactly the same as a fuel pressure regulator. All FPR's drop their pressure when there is vacume at the manifold to stop you throwing flames when off the gas slowing down. It's all those electrics waiting for their sensors to tell them the driver is back on the gas that causes the delay. (remember's k-jet).

167bhp @ the wheels from a 16v LOL. I think VR6's put about 150bhp at the wheels.

If you set this valve to 3.5bar you're going to run into problems seeing as the mk3 8v fuel pump is only rated at 3bar...
Mk4 Golf 150PD