Author Topic: car wont start. help please  (Read 6047 times)

Offline NERF 69

• Here all the time
Re: car wont start. help please
« Reply #20 on: 10 November 2011, 17:17 »
Just been to a garage which specializes in golfs he seems to think it the crank sensor so i bought one and im gonna fit it when ive got any spare time failing that he thinks the fuel pumps not got enough pressure. Fingers crossed its this sensor.

Sell my Vw??? I'd rather stick wasps up my arse

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #21 on: 10 November 2011, 17:22 »
I have the same problem now :(

My failure to start is following cleaning the throttle body out which is annoying as I have never heard anyone have a problem after cleaning it out!

My car wouldn't rev past 5000rpm before, but did on 1 random occasion. I have had my hall sensor checked by the electrical engineers at work and they said its fine, so I may have a wiring fault, although I still have a spark and wet plugs too....

If your car didn't pass the 5000rpm limit then its a timing issue which points to either knackered hall sensor, distributor or the timing has come out on the engine as you have said it did once i would look at distributor first and as you say possible wire contacting under acceleration. Not sure if ignition switch falls under the limp mode setting or not  :undecided:

Offline NERF 69

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 10 November 2011, 19:47 »
I think ive found the problem. I took the front splitter off the car and noticed somehing hanging in front of the drivers wheel. Its cylindrical with two yellow wires on each end which lead into one yellow plug which plugs into what i think is the main wirering loom under he air box. Does anyone what it is?

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #23 on: 10 November 2011, 19:49 »
Yes that is to do with the dipped beam on the headlights not sure how that would cause your problem though  :undecided: Think the five mk3's ive had have all been hanging down or missing with no issue  :smiley:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 10 November 2011, 20:00 »
Carbon Canister? Not needed anyway really so shouldnt cause you problems.  :undecided:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline NERF 69

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 10 November 2011, 20:33 »
Nothings changed back to swapping the crank sensor

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #26 on: 10 November 2011, 20:43 »
Could be an ecu fault  :undecided:

Offline GTI JIMMER

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 11 November 2011, 17:37 »
Let us know how changing the crank sensor goes!

How much was a new one?

Feel for you mate, it's horrible throwing money in again and again to no avail!

Offline NERF 69

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 11 November 2011, 18:02 »
Let us know how changing the crank sensor goes!

How much was a new one?

Feel for you mate, it's horrible throwing money in again and again to no avail!

cost me £30. Gonna av a go on sunday but the cars on the road an i dont wanna be doing it there if it gonna be to much hassle

Offline dan-swire1908

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 11 November 2011, 18:05 »
Sounds to me like your ignition/HT leads are knackered. What will happen is when the cylinder is under pressure its harder for the spark to be produced and over time as the rubber insulating on the leads becomes perished it will leak the spark straight onto the head. When your testing the plugs out of the cylinder all the spark has to deal with is atmospheric pressure which is why its able to jump the electrode gap as your cranking it over. Remove your leads and check for any signs of white kinda chalky looking marks on the inner edge of the insulation....