Author Topic: car wont start. help please  (Read 6044 times)

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
Re: car wont start. help please
« Reply #10 on: 06 November 2011, 20:49 »
Timing or crank position sensor  :undecided: have you got an immobiliser ? can you start it by jump starting it? Have you cleaned the throttle body ?

Offline NERF 69

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2011, 20:57 »
Im not 100% sure if it has an immobilizer the only bit of evidence ive got to say it has one is a systems check list done by an independant garage from the previous owner and i haven tried to bump it yet because i wont get it bavk on my drive. Would any of the suggested faults explain why my fuel consumption dropped?

Sell my Vw??? I'd rather stick wasps up my arse

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2011, 21:10 »
Sorry dude i meant fuel relay 167,i allways get them the wrong way round  :rolleyes:,when you say youve got fuel do you mean in the tank or at the injectors,can you smell petrol out the exhaust after cranking?

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #13 on: 06 November 2011, 21:10 »
Could you get a mate or someone to pop around with some jump leads because if it starts with a jump then it could be either alternator, starter motor or batterys to low to start it.

Not sure what your fuel problem was/is could be a number of things however if your timings out by a tooth then it would certainly be sluggish and could i suppose use more fuel. Simple way of knowing if the timings out or the hall sensor is broken is if you get it started rev it and see if it goes over 5000rpm if it won't go over that then the cars in limp mode meaning one of the two problems i've said is broken or off marks.

Have you had it on a vag com tester to see if any codes are showing? If not ask if theres someone near by who can do it for you or buy one off ebay for about £10 ish

Other thing is have you checked your oil and water is all correct and neither is contaminated with eachother?

Offline NERF 69

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2011, 18:04 »
Sorry dude i meant fuel relay 167,i allways get them the wrong way round  :rolleyes:,when you say youve got fuel do you mean in the tank or at the injectors,can you smell petrol out the exhaust after cranking?

the spark plugs are soaked in fuel

Offline NERF 69

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 08 November 2011, 18:08 »
Timing or crank position sensor  :undecided: have you got an immobiliser ? can you start it by jump starting it? Have you cleaned the throttle body ?

Im not questioning your knowledge at all here but why would the throttle body cause this. Just asking so i know what im looking for when i check it

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #16 on: 08 November 2011, 19:16 »
OK,so you defo got fuel as plugs are wet,where did you check for spark ,at the plug end or coil lead,just to eliminate rotor and cap,when cranking is the spark still there say after 5seconds of cranking or does it stop sparking while still cranking,have you checked your timing marks line up? :smiley:

Offline NERF 69

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2011, 21:54 »
OK,so you defo got fuel as plugs are wet,where did you check for spark ,at the plug end or coil lead,just to eliminate rotor and cap,when cranking is the spark still there say after 5seconds of cranking or does it stop sparking while still cranking,have you checked your timing marks line up? :smiley:

i arced the plugs up against the block and it continued to spark. I havent checked the timing. How would i do this?

Offline Adezmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2011, 21:54 »
I have the same problem now :(

My failure to start is following cleaning the throttle body out which is annoying as I have never heard anyone have a problem after cleaning it out!

My car wouldn't rev past 5000rpm before, but did on 1 random occasion. I have had my hall sensor checked by the electrical engineers at work and they said its fine, so I may have a wiring fault, although I still have a spark and wet plugs too....

Offline NERF 69

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 10 November 2011, 14:18 »
Just got round to bumping and jumping my car still no luck gonna replace the coil pack today if i still have no joy i know av lovely scrap man who would love to take it off my hands