Author Topic: 1.8T Project  (Read 14954 times)

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: 1.8T Project
« Reply #20 on: 12 September 2011, 21:44 »
engine mounts:

front - 8v and 16v are exactly the same part number, so get a new one of those

same applies for the gearbox.passenger side mount so get a new one of those too]

drivers side rear mount is different on 16v and this is the one you want so get a new one of them

you need the engine side mount bracket for the drivers rear engine off a 16v car engine code ABF

it looks like this:

Left is the audi S3 mount bracket (bolts to side of engine)
Right side s the ABF mount bracket (bolts to rear of 1.8T block - the holes are their ready- cheers to VW/audi)

you also need the gearbox from a 16v abf car and the little mounting bracket for that too.

you need the front metal bracket from the ABF engine and Gearbox that joins it to the front engine mount (the 8v one comes off)

thats all you need mount wise

if you can do a deal with somebody breaking a ABF 16v golf mk3 get the gearbox, the 3 brackets iv mentioned above and the hydraulic set up/ gear shift lever/mech..  should cost you about £200 for that lot unless you get a 16v car to break yourself like  did

brakes are fine as long as you are running a GTI, iv got a 250 bhp S3 lump in mne which is still undergoing its custom map, my brakes are more than fine and  just run mintex discs and pads
« Last Edit: 12 September 2011, 21:45 by F17BAD »

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 13 September 2011, 08:56 »
Cheers Kells - I though I could use the gearbox that is already attached to the 1.8T lump - all that is needed is the hydro setup!

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 13 September 2011, 09:52 »
and the 1.8t shifter with cables :)

thinking about it now I think I remember kells s3 engine is electronic throttle the same as mine, however your AGU will be cable throttle so you will have to do some modification to that as well.
 I think you just swap over the 8v throttle body and find a suitable throttle cable (some mk2 ones fit i think?) but someone else will have to answer that one as I've no experience with cable throttle 1.8t's :)
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #23 on: 13 September 2011, 13:27 »
Cheers Kells - I though I could use the gearbox that is already attached to the 1.8T lump - all that is needed is the hydro setup!

i wouldnt use mk4 gearbox.. you need to do some welding of brakets to use it plus (dont quote me on this) but they are heavy as a mofo

id go with Box from a ABF.. i went through all this when i did mine.. end of the day its your party tho  :smiley:

cable throttle you use the 8v throttle body and the cabel from some other car like dan mentions.. think my old 8v one might have just been long enough when we measured but again i cant really say as mine is electronic throttle

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 13 September 2011, 14:16 »
I drive a mk3 - weight is the last thing I am worried about!  :grin:

I will talk to my mate and see if he wants the task of doing the welding - I know he enjoys that sort of thing !

Payment has now cleared so i will be picking it up soon and will post some pics up when i can

Cheers for all the info so far guys

Mitch

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #25 on: 13 September 2011, 15:03 »
MK3 is not that heavy mate...  its mk4 onwards that were heavy. dont listen to the internet hype

if you are going to the trouble of power hunting you may aswell get the best out of it what you can, so saving weight will make you faster

as i say its your party.. keep us posted how you get on :smiley:

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #26 on: 13 September 2011, 15:25 »
I was under the impression the ABF gearbox gearing ratios better suited the mk3 shell as well.

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 13 September 2011, 15:42 »
Cheers for the advice guys - but currently the bank balance is controlling what i do!

If i had the money then I would be straight on with getting another gearbox

Offline danmusic24

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 13 September 2011, 16:32 »
i was up my local pub the other day and over the road there is a second hand dealer and he had a audi a4 2.8 on a v reg,so off i went to have a look and i wanted to hear it fired up.the noise that thing made blew me away...
just thinking you get lots of people saying about doing 2.8vr6 conversions and its not really worth it due to the fact prob easy to buy one,but at the same time why wack a 1.8t mk4 in a mk3 when you could buy a mk4turbo nice and pretty..
so is a 1.8t in a mk3 quicker then a standed mk4 1.8t?
is a mk3 vr6 quicker then a mk4 1.8t? :undecided:

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #29 on: 13 September 2011, 18:05 »
1.8t in a mk 3 is alot faster than in the lardy mk4  

my S3 engine (which is also on the 1.8T platform but alot higher output) in mine would blow you away. it is brutal as f**k. infact iv never driven a car as fast (had all sorts) t is just pure insanity all the way through the rev range and im loving it

when we put the S3 lump in mine and tested it, (Before my custom map) it was night and day faster than a VR6.. we absolutly abliterated one on a duel carriageway  :grin:

id say VR6 mk3 would beat a standard non mapped mk4 1.8T

thing is the 1.8T is easy to modify and even in a mk4 you can make them fast.. Iv had mk4's and im board of them where as i never get board of the mk3 i have.. its each to their own but i personally much prefer the mk3. its nice too have the pace in it that the car deserves

if VR6 is the sound you want, then you will be needing a turbo to match the pace you can get with the 1.8T :smiley:

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/