Author Topic: 1.8T Project  (Read 14955 times)

Offline madmanmart

• I live here
Re: 1.8T Project
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2011, 18:37 »
Why cant i use the gearbox that comes with this engine?

Basically I have brought a MK4 that was in a side impact and the guy just wants rid of the whole car (or whats left of it, no seats, wheels or front hubs) everything else is on the car - plus it has had the G60 flywheel and VR clutch in!

I have all the Mk4 engine (AGU) gearbox, loom, ecu, clocks and keys - I thought that was everything I needed for the conversion!

I would rather not have to shell out more money on another gearbox on top of what i have already paid!

Sorry I miss read what was said, yes you can use the 02J box from the mk3 (I was thinking an mk3 8v box). Although you will need a mk3 hydro clutch setup to run the box.

I have the choice of both boxes but opted for the 02a due to its ratios.

Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2011, 18:49 »
Cheers for the advice guys - I'm sure I will post up more questions as I have them!! I'm guessing that I could transplant the clutch frOm the mk4 into the 3 so I can keep the hydro clutch?!?

I have an aftermarket exhaust already and have a 2.5 decat in place - plus I need a new Downpipe anyway so am talk to my mate who is a welder to sort me out some custom pipework!

Did you guys fit different clocks?

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2011, 20:57 »
if you get the wiring done properly you dont need to touch the clocks, only wiring that needs modifying is from the fusebox to the engine

regarding the clutch setup no you cant use the mk4 one, you need the mk3 16v setup. you need the master and slave clutch cylinders and all the pipework, and probably a new clutch pedal clip as well as you will 99% of the time break the old one. its something like 3 or 4 pound from vw for the clip, best bet for the clutch parts is a breakers or message ppl breaking their 16v
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline madmanmart

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2011, 22:43 »
Cheers for the advice guys - I'm sure I will post up more questions as I have them!! I'm guessing that I could transplant the clutch frOm the mk4 into the 3 so I can keep the hydro clutch?!?

I have an aftermarket exhaust already and have a 2.5 decat in place - plus I need a new Downpipe anyway so am talk to my mate who is a welder to sort me out some custom pipework!

You will need mk3 16v clocks too, 8v ones will be too lows revs.

Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 10 September 2011, 08:06 »
Cheers for the help guys - I'm sure I will be coming to you for more!

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 10 September 2011, 16:44 »

You will need mk3 16v clocks too, 8v ones will be too lows revs.

I have 8v ones in mine they are fine, 8v gti though dunno if the lower 8v clocks are different?
« Last Edit: 10 September 2011, 16:46 by Dan_GTi8v »

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #16 on: 11 September 2011, 22:18 »
8v clocks wil work but i got rid and replaced with the same type but in 16v format (silver anniversary) took some hunting to find those  :nerd:

the 16v clocks are very close (if not the same) readings as the S3 which my engine is from

its not something thats needed but i just wanted to swap mine out

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 12 September 2011, 12:24 »
If it makes life easier then I think i will go on the hunt for a set of 16v clocks

I have been looking into the wiring diagrames on CGTI and it is very informative and i think i am going to try and do it myself

Does the AGU lump have multiple mouting points on it? You guys have said put the 16v mouns on it but they are at different locations to the mouting points in the MK4

I cant wait to do this now - looking forward to the power!

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 12 September 2011, 18:42 »
starter motors are in the same place and the front 16v bracket bolts on with the starter using the same bolt holes, so thats the same place as 16v.
The AGU will also have 4 bolt holes on the rear with nothing in them that the rear bracket can bolt to, its almost like vw want us to do the conversion :P you may need to push a bit of braided piping out the way but its a pretty minor issue

All that needs modifying regarding mounting the engine really is removing the old mk4 side mount which is just a couple of heavy duty bolts

If you get stuck with the wiring try sending rubjonny a pm, he's made quite a few looms for other people and is always ready to help out others.

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 12 September 2011, 20:03 »
Cheers Dan - yer have seen Jonnys name plastered all over club gti regarding the wiring stuff! If I am lucky he may even be looking at the thread sometime!!

Ok so shopping list now has the 16v front and rear engine mounts (guessing 8v are not up to the job)

Is there anything on my 8v that I need to keep or can I "bin" most of it?

What mount do you guys recommend for the gearbox (I'm going to guess at 16v!!)

Also which brakes are you guys now running? Was thinking about the EBC pads and discs

Is it also worth putting the mk4 rear calipers on?

Cheers Mitch