Author Topic: 1.8T Project  (Read 14952 times)

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
1.8T Project
« on: 07 September 2011, 14:08 »
Hi All

Has any one got any info on how to do the engine swap with a 1.8T lump? Have been looking about but cant find anything with any detail on!

Also does anyone know if the front engine mouting points are the same ??

Cheers

Offline gasketface

• I live here
Re: 1.8T Project
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2011, 14:14 »

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2011, 17:42 »
mounting points are the same, you need mk3 16v mounts (not mk2 16v!) the 8v although look similar are not the same

theres a crap load of info on this I dont know what you must of searched for to come back with nothing :P

Its been done by quite a few ppl on here including me so for most questions you have will have there will be someone who knows the answer :)
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2011, 09:23 »
Hi Dan

Had a look at the engine last night and its an AGU from a MK4 golf - the mounting points are on the chassis legs in the mk4

What were the main things you had to modify? What intercooler have you used?

Did you do the conversion yourself? How long did it take you?

Cheers in advance

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2011, 22:04 »
you need mk3 16v mounts all round and the mounting bracket off the ABF engine to bolt to the AGU, this will then fit on the mk3 mounting point (Drivers side rear)

Use a mk3 16v gearbox, gear linkage and hydro set up, also use the gearbox mounting braket from the 16v car

got my S3 engine in and running in 3 days, took a week before this stripping my car down

car was off the road for a couple of weeks

use a universal front mount intercooler, theirs loads on the bay - something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-MOUNT-UNIVERSAL-INTERCOOLER-GOLF-VW-AUDI-TURBO-/190377113885?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c535c391d

will need to source the piping for this but thats no biggie

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2011, 23:02 »
check out the build threads in the vw related section - dub rides.
mines on page 5 or something, I gave up updating it but will be updating soon and everything regarding my conversion is in there, there are also some other good reads in there, kells (F17 BAD) has a good thread in there and Lazylunatic as well although very long and full of a lot of stuff you dont need :P think his conversion starts on around page 30

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2011, 08:57 »
Cheers guys - i will check out the build threads.

I already have the gearbox that came with the car so would rather use that than having to buy another gearbox - can i not just adapt the current mount to fit the mk3?

I have everything that comes with a MK4 as the guy had a side impact and has sold me whats left of the car (not much) but has everything for the conversion minus the intercooler!

Will i have to take out the entire wiring loom from the mk3 of can i leave it in?

Cheers

Offline madmanmart

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2011, 13:28 »
I am doing a 1.8T conversion on one of my mk3s but I will be using OEM management so I wont have to spend £800 on a loom from qpeng.

This will involve combining both mk3 and mk4 looms.

You will need a mk3 16v gearbox, an 8v both would last about 20 seconds with a 1.8t attached to it. :laugh:

Yes you will need to remove the whole engine loom from your car but its an easy job really.

Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2011, 13:40 »
Why cant i use the gearbox that comes with this engine?

Basically I have brought a MK4 that was in a side impact and the guy just wants rid of the whole car (or whats left of it, no seats, wheels or front hubs) everything else is on the car - plus it has had the G60 flywheel and VR clutch in!

I have all the Mk4 engine (AGU) gearbox, loom, ecu, clocks and keys - I thought that was everything I needed for the conversion!

I would rather not have to shell out more money on another gearbox on top of what i have already paid!

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2011, 18:19 »
you can use an 02j box (1.8t box) but this woud mean fitting an 02j shifter (which you will have if you have the mk4), the reason people use the 02a is the 02j box's generally dont have very good ratios for the mk3. someone with the same engine and an 02a box will feel like a faster car. the 02j shifter is the better shifter though, it gives smoother gear changes and is generally a better design

you should check out www.clubgti.com they have a dedicated 1.8t section in their engine section and it has a lot of info plus very knowegable people to answer questions :) (nothing against anyone here! a lot of the ppl here are on there as well:P)

One thing you will need to do is get your mk3 loom modified together with the mk4 loom like madmanmart says, there are people who will do this for a fee, or there is a guide on clubgti if you fancy having a go at it yourself or just seeing whats involved, its a guide for the mk2 but the mk3 uses the same ce2 fusebox so its all pretty much the same

yo will also need some other bits and pieces, the standard 8v exhaust will be too restricting for a 1.8t, the standard cat wont last 2 seconds either and will also be very restricting so advise getting a mk4 cat or a sports cat (I used a universal hoffman sports car for £100) also will need a custom downpipe, qpeng do one for £200 (!) or you can get one made up, if you go down that route you could also get a custom exhaust with cat done so it all fits properly and you wont have headaches later on

there will be a million things you either forget or didnt think of when you come round to doing the work so best advise I can give is do a lot of research and triple check everything is ready before you start work  :smiley: