Author Topic: Here they are...Compression test results! NEW FIGURES PG 5!  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Cyl 1
Dry   190
Wet  195

Cyl 2
Dry   180
Wet  195

Cyl 3
Dry    180
Wet   215

Cyl 4
Dry  185
Wet  185

Cyl 3's piston rings look to be past it. No oil burning but it must be the cause to my high crank pressure.

Opinions and views please.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2010, 16:52 by Khare »

Offline axewielder

• I live here
  • 95 dragon 8v
Re: Here they are...Compression test results!
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2010, 12:35 »
thats still a decent reading, i would have been worried if no 3 was much lower than the others and then rose to a comparable pressure with oil added but as it is, im not quite sure whats wrong?

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2010, 12:49 »
Yeah. Well spoke to a real good mechanic local to me who's given me a load of info. He said he is worried about cyl 3 and 4, cyl 3 for the difference and cyl 4 because the wet test didn't increase the pressure, but I'm pretty sure I did read 190 briefly so that's a 5 psi increase, just like cyl 1.

This website quotes
Four readings, all within 10 pounds square / inch of each other (1.38 Kg sq/m) -- a sound engine.
Some people say that if all four cylinders are within 20 pounds of each other, all is well. I work to within 10 pounds. A fault shows up quite dramatically on the compression tester.

Having got your set of readings, you now need to do further tests to determine if you have worn or broken piston rings OR leaking valves.

Add a pipette of oil to the low cylinder. (If you do not have a pipette, use a piece of plastic tube with about two inches of engine oil in it). This oil will seal broken rings temporarily.

Repeat the test. If the pressure rises by say 20 pounds square inch, then you have broken or badly worn piston rings. If the pressure does NOT rise, then you have leaking valves. A faulty inlet valve often gives itself away by spitting back through the carburettor when running.

The mechanic said there is a product from a company called Lucas, but no the Lucas we know here...It's an American company, and this oil addictive is used in drag racing over the pond. He said they used to sell it here but he now can't find anywhere that does it. He said that it was used in an old pick up that drank oil like nothing and after the treatment it didn't completely cure the problem, but it helped massively. I've got no oil being burnt so it should almost cure the problem.
I think this is the product

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares

Offline axewielder

• I live here
  • 95 dragon 8v
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2010, 13:00 »
you get things that claim similar results in halfrauds+ motor factors, never used any though

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2010, 13:03 »
you get things that claim similar results in halfrauds+ motor factors, never used any though
The mechanic said so. He said slick 50 is the closest thing to this Lucas stuff but slick 50 and the other halfords products just didn't show an improvement, were as this Lucas oil stabilizer did a huge improvement.

Offline axewielder

• I live here
  • 95 dragon 8v
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2010, 13:33 »
fair enough man, its hard to know whats worth doing in these situtions

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2010, 13:37 »
fair enough man, its hard to know whats worth doing in these situtions
I've been thinking new engine for a while, another 8v gti engine but strip it, clean everything, new seals and gaskets all over, some ARP bolts down below and up above (maybe), porting and polishing, new rings, and s/s exhaust manifold to go with it. Painted block and gearbox too! (of course with new clutch and bearings). I think I'll just run the engine how it is now for a while, live with it, and when I can afford to then get hold of another engine and work on that one.

Offline axewielder

• I live here
  • 95 dragon 8v
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2010, 14:53 »
yeh if thats your plan and this engine holds up you may aswell horde parts+ build up a solid engine ready for when this one pops

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2010, 14:57 »
yeh if thats your plan and this engine holds up you may aswell horde parts+ build up a solid engine ready for when this one pops

Yeah. Hopefully this will hold up until I've got the other one ready. Don't want to suddenly blow £300 on new engine and having to fit it without any work done to it.