Author Topic: bypass TB heating?  (Read 6412 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: bypass TB heating?
« Reply #70 on: 19 September 2009, 09:21 »
IMO this is a pointless mod.    consider why it was done as it will have been done for a reason.

at full throttel with the engine pulling some revs  the air speed though that TB is going to be quite high it simply wont be there long enough to pick up heat.

but at part throttel you have a reasonable amount of air flowing,  and expanding into the manifold as the pressure drops as it flows past the butterfly. gas expands temp drops.  chould it be possible that with quite low ambient tempritures and realativly high humidity  that the air tempriture drops below the freezing point of water at whatever pressure it's at there and causes ice to build up ?    pritty much the same as carb freezing in a way

Spot on.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #71 on: 19 September 2009, 09:37 »
IMO this is a pointless mod.    consider why it was done as it will have been done for a reason.

at full throttel with the engine pulling some revs  the air speed though that TB is going to be quite high it simply wont be there long enough to pick up heat.

True.

but at part throttel you have a reasonable amount of air flowing,  and expanding into the manifold as the pressure drops as it flows past the butterfly. gas expands temp drops. 

Indeed it does, but the JT effect is not noticable at such low Delta-Ps as you get from an inlet tract to inlet manifold on a NA engine.
1000mb dropping to 980mb or something similar...it just doesn't affect it.

chould it be possible that with quite low ambient tempritures and realativly high humidity  that the air tempriture drops below the freezing point of water at whatever pressure it's at there and causes ice to build up ?    pritty much the same as carb freezing in a way

Of course, that is possible.
All I can say is that on VR6s, from experience, in the UK we nave neither the low ambient temperatures nor the humidity to cause any problems - even through North of Scotland winters.

The situation of Carb icing cannot occur - in a Carb the water freezes, blocking up the jets that need the airflow over them to 'suck' in the fuel, giving fuel starvation and bad running.

On an injected car with a TB, there is nothing for any minute ice particles to form on...the air entering the manifold may be cold - even cold enough to freeze - but the inlet manifold isn't, so no ice forms. There is no venturi capable of giving a high enough JT effect to freeze the ice, unlike a Carb.

The fuel goes in from injectors mounted in a manifold bolted to the head and sitting at around 100 degrees C, so the injectors get warm - so no freezing there either.
Even with one of these so called 'power gaskets' or 'insulating gaskets' that keep the inlet manifold cooler, there are no problems with freezing and fuelling. not on an VR6 anyway.

If what you suggest were true, then cars running ITBs would freeze up in winter. They don't. From experience.

All this being said, it still doesn't add any power!
By all means remove the coolant lines - I tend to, well, just because. But it won't add any BHP.
so you are absolutely correct...it's a pointless mod!  :grin:

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #72 on: 19 September 2009, 10:39 »
By all means remove the coolant lines - I tend to, well, just because. But it won't add any BHP.
Why do you do it then?

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #73 on: 19 September 2009, 10:43 »
Why do you do it then?

Because my mates wanted it doing...
I don't own a VR6...and wouldn't want one of the boat anchors in my engine bay...but mates cars I've tweaked, or tuned, wanted it bypassing...so I made and fitted bypasses!

The ABF TB isn't heated at all by coolant...so that tells you something about if it's needed!

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline axewielder

• I live here
  • 95 dragon 8v
« Reply #74 on: 06 October 2009, 16:28 »