Author Topic: Re: Should I keep her? (Edit: For Sale £100: Black VW Golf GTI)  (Read 5632 times)

Ronseal

Hi Folks,
I've just found this forum in the last 5mins and haven't read much so far, however you all look like you know your onions so maybe you can help me with my dilemma?

I've had a Black 8-valve Mark 3 Golf ('96) for the last 6 years and I'm pleased to say she's never let me down once in all that time.  But as the years have past I'm afraid we've got to that time where either some money needs spending and she becomes a keeper or I off-load her for 'rock all' and buy myself another car/van?

I have to admit that I spend most of my time tinkering with motorbikes and could really do with a van, and my trusty Golf is always the last to get any attention.  However with the renewal of four tires imminent and and an MOT due, it looks like I'll be spending a few pennies on her soon and with 116,000miles on the clock I figure she's okay for a few more years.

I've got used to people slating the Mark 3, with most VW purest stating it's the least impressive of the 'old' golfs so I'd just about resigned myself to selling her for peanuts or taking her down the scrap yard, and then 3 days ago, I saw a Mark 3 with a refreshed paint job, Porsche wheels, leather seat covers, and it had it's plastic wheel arches removed, now did it look cool or what.  It wasn't over the top, wasn't Chaved-up, it just looked quality, so this has got me in a quandary.

I'm 34 so maybe I'm too old for polishing up an old Golf, maybe it's time for a Volvo, I sure as hell don't want a noisy exhaust and a bass bin, however if any of you have some inspiration, or have been in a similar position I'm all ears.

Cheers
Ron

« Last Edit: 15 June 2011, 23:14 by Ronseal »

Offline Vesper

• Not said much yet
Re: Should I keep her?
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2009, 17:35 »
Keep her!  :wink:

Mine needs a full set of tyres so I've just bagged some alloys for refurb - should smarten the old girl up. No need to go chavvy - subtle class is always a winner. Don't expect anyone on here to agree on what constitutes subtle or classy though  :grin:

It may cost a bit to keep them on the road but still cheaper than a new car, or even a 2nd hand car (getting MOT & sorting out bits n bobs). What clinches it for me is the few times I've driven your bog standard ford focus or some other equally dull hire car I am counting the days 'til I can get back in the golf and actually enjoy my trip from A to B. Mind you I haven't even got ABS on my golf, so getting in a new car and braking gently usually results in self inflicted whiplash and the car behind nearly rear-ending me- I'm definitely not used to the ballerina touch new cars seem to require  :laugh:

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2009, 17:55 »
If the shell is sound then i would keep her, especially if you can do bits yourself.
The mk3 is cheap to run, and generally a very reliable motor.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2009, 18:04 »
make a car that you like.

Look at build threads, find cars that inspire you, look at different combinations of how things go with each other and build the perfect mk3 in YOUR eyes. Don't mind what others say.

If the shell is rust free and things needed for MOT are mainly things that wear and generally need replacing (tires, brake pads/discs, plugs, filters, belts, etc) then I'd definitely  keep her.

The perfect look for any car is OEM+ in my eyes. Nothing that shouts for attention, but something that stands out from the crowd.

Offline Andy-H

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2009, 18:18 »
And there's nowt wrong with polishing up your Golf when your well into your 30's  :wink:
'95 Mystic blue Mk3 2.0l 8v - gone
'93 2.0l 16v Corrado - gone (and missed)
'02 A4 Quattro sport - gone
'91 Black 2.1 16v Corrado -gone
'91 Tornado red Mk2

Offline spunkymonkey

• I live here
  • Tepidly moist! That's what that is!
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2009, 18:35 »
check my thread in dub rides section. Im 32 mate. Age is irrelavent.

I like my sub and amp, but you will never hear it when i drive past. I have a full stainless exhaust but its nice and quiet. My wheels are'nt everybodys cup of tea. But i like being different.

A few tastefull mods make a world of difference, especially wheels. instead of buying 4 tyres, put a bit extra in and buy some second hand wheels. A good service works wonders also.

Its worth keeping just because you know it so well.

VW BUSH

« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2009, 19:02 »
Looks nice, keep it :wink:

Offline vw-8v

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2009, 19:29 »
keep it m8 i was in same situation 6 months ago i knocking on 30's door and had no idea of the bug u get once u realise most mods cost sod all but some time a little paint and basic tools.

i got cut up on roundabout by a silly spotty teen in a saxo which sent me into the inner kerb recking a brand new tyre instead of buying new again picked up set of gti's with tyres 5mm all round for 60 quid delivered again bit of time and paint they will look sweet 4 winter. also if u do bugger any wee trick parts as they are a tug in purest views(part true i guess) eps the 8v like mine parts really easy to get and cheap srapers hav become my first call for parts. i was going to go bk down the new car route as i too hav bike(gsxr750) but gonna keep the car and get newer bike next year or the one after.

honest it the best car i've had for lack of fear to get stuck in.

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2009, 20:59 »
Hi Mate.

Definitely keep the car. If you sell you will only regret it. The great thing about your car is it's standard like mine. They are much better like this than all blinged up but a few subtle mods look ok but I just prefer them to look standard!!!!!!   Don't make the mistake of selling it as I once did. I am now back in a GTi and am like a dog with two d***s. I am 33 and age is nothing if you enjoy your wheels.     Cheers     Deano
« Last Edit: 01 September 2009, 21:18 by Deano2711 »

Offline Rob S

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 01 September 2009, 21:13 »
I'd agree with the comments about keeping it if it's rot free.
There's a lot to be said for a bit of reliability, and as you've had it years, imagine the peace of mind that brings compared with an unknown cheap and possibly cheerful car....
I've just got rid of a T5 for this Golf.
It was great but totally, totally different, and although it was way quicker in a straight line, it's great to be back in another Golf after all these years.
Oh, I'm 37 and still like to polish cars, I think they can be a reflection of the driver, but each to there own.
Keep it, spend a bit and fall over again!
Rob