Author Topic: 2.0T Coil Packs  (Read 898 times)

Offline Yohan

• Here all the time
2.0T Coil Packs
« on: 17 April 2012, 11:15 »
Have any 1.8T owners made the jump to these units?

Are there any benefits to be had?

Are they more reliable than the 1.8T units?

Offline AaronGS

• I live here
Re: 2.0T Coil Packs
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2012, 21:47 »
Famous last words but so far I have had no issues with the 1.8T units so see no reason to change. Especially as VW replaced all 4 of mine last year in the recall!
You had any issues Jon? Personally, i am not convined of the need to swap but will await any other opinions!

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2012, 22:03 »
i dont think reliability is the point of the upgrade. mk4s and mk5s have both suffered coilpack recalls. The idea behind these is you can run higher boost with a larger plug gap. Not something you really need to do unless you're running a GT28 or bigger equivalent.

Offline wretch20vt

• GTI forum regular

Offline Yohan

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2012, 10:45 »
Famous last words but so far I have had no issues with the 1.8T units so see no reason to change. Especially as VW replaced all 4 of mine last year in the recall!
You had any issues Jon? Personally, i am not convined of the need to swap but will await any other opinions!

Well I've already replaced all 4x and it has been fine since.

i dont think reliability is the point of the upgrade. mk4s and mk5s have both suffered coilpack recalls. The idea behind these is you can run higher boost with a larger plug gap. Not something you really need to do unless you're running a GT28 or bigger equivalent.

I was planning on installing new plugs next service with one heat range cooler than what I currently have. I will be fitting these http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-63603-ngk-spark-plug-bkr7eix-opie-ref-2667.aspx and have heard the gap they are set at is fine as it is.

I just wondered if the combination of those plugs and uprated coilpacks would help the overall package?

think they need spacing as well.
http://www.psituning.com/product.php/20089/1_8t_to_2_0t_coil_pack_conversion_adapters/43b1e2d448d20b049c4e9fcc12101a9b

Cheers I was having a look at those yesterday :)