Author Topic: Back to the Golf forum - and an initial question !  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Back to the Golf forum - and an initial question !
« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2023, 11:40 »
Funnily enough after not having seen an example of either in ages, yesterday afternoon/evening I saw a T-Roc R as I passed Screwfix on my way home and this morning I saw a Tiguan R, both in Lapiz.
Boy was the Golf dwarfed by the Tiguan when they were side by side at the traffic lights.
Lovely looking cars both, the boxy VW styling suits the SUV size far better than those hideous Mercedes and BMW efforts.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2023, 12:05 »
The Tiguan R is best described as a XL mk7 agolf on stilts

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2023, 07:02 »
It’s sheer size makes it look better value for money 😁 (better looking than the Golf too)
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2023, 08:42 »
Our next door neighbour has a T-Roc (not an R), and they picked it over a Golf because they can't parallel park for sh!t and they thought the T-Roc would be more resilient in bumping up the kerb every day (his words).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline TonyJ

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2023, 20:12 »
I hate to ask but here goes.... Did the T-Roc R suffer Bongs?
No, absolutely nothing. No software issues at all  (or any other issues).

Totally trouble-free driving.

Current - Golf GTD Mk8
Previous - T-Roc R
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7.5
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2023, 22:48 »

@TonyJ; if your T-Roc R was a pre-facelift model (the facelift T-Roc was launched at the end of 2021) it’ll have conventional interior controls - i.e. physical buttons, knobs and switches and proper buttons on the steering wheel - and use an earlier generation of software than the current crop of VW models. That might explain why you didn’t have any software issues with your car.

Same with my car - a pre-facelift 2020 Polo GTI+ with conventional interior controls and previous generation software which has also been free of software issues. Owners of the facelift Polo GTI model running the latest generation software and with interior functions now accessed via touchscreens have also experienced similar software issues to mk8 Golf owners.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline TonyJ

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 09 May 2023, 22:32 »

@TonyJ; if your T-Roc R was a pre-facelift model (the facelift T-Roc was launched at the end of 2021) it’ll have conventional interior controls - i.e. physical buttons, knobs and switches and proper buttons on the steering wheel - and use an earlier generation of software than the current crop of VW models. That might explain why you didn’t have any software issues with your car.

Same with my car - a pre-facelift 2020 Polo GTI+ with conventional interior controls and previous generation software which has also been free of software issues. Owners of the facelift Polo GTI model running the latest generation software and with interior functions now accessed via touchscreens have also experienced similar software issues to mk8 Golf owners.

Yes, my T-Roc was manufactured summer 2020, with actual buttons on the steering wheel, rotary switches for climate etc.
Current - Golf GTD Mk8
Previous - T-Roc R
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7.5
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2023, 06:24 »
Not sure why they went down a different route than VW and Cupra, but my new S3 has physical buttons on the steering wheel and climate (rather than the haptic controls that seem to attract so much criticism - especially on the steering wheel, but I always found them fine). No bongs at all. My only criticism is that the symbol that tells you you're too close to the car in front (even though it leaves a 3 second gap) is bright red, looking an awful lot like a low oil warning light.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.