Author Topic: Back to the Golf forum - and an initial question !  (Read 2022 times)

Offline TonyJ

• Not said much yet
After almost 3 years away from this Golf forum, I'm pleased to be back.
Whilst away, I've been driving a T-Roc R  -  nice car  -  and today I took delivery of a mk8 GTD  (after having mk7 and mk7.5 GTDs in the past)

Hopefully I'll find lots of answers to my inevitable questions by searching this forum, but one initial one ....

When driving in D  (not sport mode), can you see which gear you are in?  In my T-Roc, it displayed D1, D2, D3 etc., which I found surprisingly useful. Can't see how to do the same in the Golf.

Thanks
Current - Golf GTD Mk8
Previous - T-Roc R
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7.5
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7

Offline Dav3smith

• GTI forum regular
Re: Back to the Golf forum - and an initial question !
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2023, 18:33 »
Hi Tony, to answer your question No, unfortunately it is not possible even using OBD.

Maybe someone knows different and if they do I'd love to enable it myself.
GTI Clubsport ED45 DBP, DCC, HK, WP, Pano

Gone Golf R 7.5
Gone GTI 7

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2023, 19:36 »
Welcome back TonyJ

As above, the gears for some reason are kept secret in normal drive mode.

What’s the T-Roc R been like? An interesting car and not many about.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline TonyJ

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2023, 20:07 »
The T Roc R was a lovely car, and as you say, there are not many about.
A group of us got a very good lease deal through VWFS, just as the factory was starting up again after Covid.
It's very fast, especially in Sport or Race mode. Handling is absolutely brilliant - you just point it in any direction and it sticks to the road like glue. With 4WD, I never had any wheel spin or tramping even with the quickest start.
It did not come with adaptive dampers, so I found the suspension quite hard until I got used to it.
Two negatives from my perspective. The interior trim was quite cheap and plasticy, considering it's the top of the range. The other is the poor fuel economy. I never got over about 35mpg, even on a smooth motorway run. Quite a change from my previous GTDs where I would easily get 50+ mpg !  However, no-one gets an R for good fuel economy !

The roads round by where I live are always very busy, so I didn't have many opportunities to take advantage of what the R has to offer. However, on the few occasions where I was on a quiet, windy road, it was really great.

I was sad to say goodbye to it today, but also excited at getting back into a GTD !
Current - Golf GTD Mk8
Previous - T-Roc R
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7.5
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2023, 07:55 »
35 mpg is not too bad for T-Roc R.  My Tiguan R only manages around +25 mpg on an average run with fast/slower sections during a journey and no more than around 30 mpg max on a gentle economical run.  But it is a larger heavier car than the T-Roc R though.  However it doesn't seem much different on fuel/mpg than my previous car a MK8 Golf R with Performance Pack, which i found a touch more thirsty for fuel than my std MK7 Golf R.  The best for fuel economy was my Golf GTI, but it only managed around +/- 35 mpg at best. 

Hope you enjoy your Golf GTD.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2023, 22:53 »
Good to read your thoughts on the T-Roc R TonyJ (interesting to see your economy figures too Brenbo).
What spec is the GTD? I do see a few around which is good as I’ve always been a GTD fan and it goes to show people do still care about decent fuel mileage yet still want a dynamic hatch despite the vilification shown these days.

Brenbo, the roads down our way just don’t lend themselves to decent fuel economy. Hills, bends, more hills…
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2023, 05:42 »
Interesting read on the different VW’s.
On subject of fuel economy, I’ve just come back from a 2 day trip to Yeovil, which is about a round trip of 448 miles, virtually all motorway and fast(ish) A roads with some short sections of twist turny stuff. Indicated average Mpg was 43.4, two passengers and whilst not clogging it, not hanging about either.
I rarely do long distances so always interested in what I did Mpg wise.
Previous car Mpg would have been high twenties.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2023, 09:02 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2023, 06:06 »
Fully agree Exonian about types of roads affecting mpg in cornwall and devon.  The other major contributor to mpg in our neck of the woods is either farmers driving their tractors between fields or holiday makers causing conjestion/build up of traffic on the roads and possibly driving slower on occasions than maybe locals might drive on B roads in the local area.

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2023, 08:29 »
I hate to ask but here goes.... Did the T-Roc R suffer Bongs?
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2023, 08:42 »
My Tiguan R hasn't had bongs or false errors yet, so hopefully the T-Roc R hasn't either