Author Topic: Performance golf orders closing 10th May  (Read 1490 times)

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
Performance golf orders closing 10th May
« on: 03 May 2023, 10:36 »
Just had a phone call from my local dealer, the order books on all performance golf’s are closing on the 10th of may, with no current date for reopening. Fingers crossed it’s just to allow catch up of outstanding orders, or perhaps for a facelift.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2023, 17:19 by The_Doc »
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Performance gold orders closing 10th May
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2023, 11:27 »
Maybe both?

Depending on how long it takes to clear the backlog of outstanding orders, once cleared, maybe it’ll be pretty close to the time when VW will launch the facelift mk8.5?

Based on VW’s usual eight year model life, the mk8 was launched in Europe in Oct 2019 with cars arriving in European dealer showrooms a couple of months later. So if it were to take 5-6 months to clear the backlog (lots of ‘ifs’ and speculation), it’s conceivable that VW will then re-tool the Wolfsburg plant for the start of mk8.5 production.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2023, 12:07 »
Just had a phone call from my local dealer, the order books on all performance golf’s are closing on the 10th of may, with no current date for reopening. Fingers crossed it’s just to allow catch up of outstanding orders, or perhaps for a facelift.

Sad news that they are probably going to replace it with some sh!t electric version or stop altogether 🙁
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2023, 16:03 »
It’s unlikely it’ll be replaced with an electric vehicle for at least a few years. Chances are they’re closing the books to catch up on orders since there are people who are expecting to receive their cars 24 months after ordering. Might be, they won’t reopen the order books until the mk8.5 is released some time next year though, which means used prices are about to get a whole lot bigger.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2023, 20:10 by The_Doc »
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

SJ77

Re: Performance golf orders closing 10th May
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2023, 18:15 »
Does anyone know for sure why they have closed the order book? I went to order a GTI manual today but got told they are not taking orders for it, only accepting orders for the DSG at the moment.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2023, 18:44 »
Does anyone know for sure why they have closed the order book? I went to order a GTI manual today but got told they are not taking orders for it, only accepting orders for the DSG at the moment.

The official line is ‘catching up’ owing to long lead times. So it’s technically a temporary closure.
However there are probably other things at play too.
Should VW be planning a facelift then they’ll need to have cleared the backlog before production starts on the 8.5
Plus there are limits on how many higher polluting cars they can sell compared to zero emissions vehicles so it makes sense to limit the number of higher output ICE cars when there is also a huge backlog of EV’s.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

SJ77

« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2023, 19:11 »

The official line is ‘catching up’ owing to long lead times. So it’s technically a temporary closure.
However there are probably other things at play too.
Should VW be planning a facelift then they’ll need to have cleared the backlog before production starts on the 8.5
Plus there are limits on how many higher polluting cars they can sell compared to zero emissions vehicles so it makes sense to limit the number of higher output ICE cars when there is also a huge backlog of EV’s.

Yes that makes sense and I hope that they reopen the order book soon. I will be following closely.

Someone please shout on here when they hear the orders have reopened again ☺️

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2023, 21:35 »
As mentioned above it’s probably a couple of things but mainly the backlog, which was crazy and with Covid-19 and then supply chain issues the factory has been in some state of flux for most of the Golf 8 production to date but hopefully things are getting back on track. There seems to be significant movement on orders going back two years or so and I’m sure I read somewhere aswell that an extra shift was being on in Wolfsburg as production ramps up.

Clearly versions like the R20 need to be be cleared as they won’t carry over into MK8.5 too.
2021 MK8 Manual | Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Winter Pack, HK, Pan Roof, Rear Camera, Vienna Leather