Author Topic: OEM Golf R Paddles Install  (Read 1064 times)

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
OEM Golf R Paddles Install
« on: 26 April 2023, 12:34 »
Had these in hand for ages but nervous about fitting them - did those that have fitted the R paddles disconnect the battery or remove any fuses?

Removing the airbag is the part that has me worried. If it goes off somehow that's a nightmare!
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
Re: OEM Golf R Paddles Install
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2023, 13:16 »
I haven’t fitted paddles but I changed the steering wheel on my 7.5 which meant I had to remove and refit the paddles it also entailed removing the airbag I  had to do it a couple of times. The first time I disconnected the battery and the second time I forgot. Both times went okay. I would favour disconnection. Ignore the feeling of apprehension when pulling the airbag clear.  :grin:
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2023, 17:23 »
May I ask where you sourced your paddles? It's one of the last mods I am considering. BTW, can anyone advise me how to start a poll? I can't see the option.

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2023, 21:40 »
I didn’t remove the battery, however, I also didn’t turn on the ignition during the change, no errors at all afterwards and was really easy. There’s a chat on here somewhere from the time.

I know someone, king monkey I think, may have turned on the ignition whilst the airbag was unplugged and as such get an error code that had to be reset.

Volkswizard has a how to video on YouTube.

As for where to get them, I and a few others, got them from a European (Czech Republic, if my memory serves me well) VW spares site. They take a while to arrive, but we’re a few quid cheaper than from VW UK.

EDIT: check out page 24 (and a few pages either side) of the “what have you bought for your mk8” thread. Sorry, not sure how to add a link to that.
« Last Edit: 26 April 2023, 21:48 by Carl_45 »
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2023, 09:08 »
Thanks for the link. I placed an order for a set of paddles last night. Delivery forecast 14 days. Dispatch confirmed this morning. 
« Last Edit: 27 April 2023, 09:16 by Ceefeesh »

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2023, 21:37 »
I got my from one of the eBay sellers.

Didn’t take the fuse out, kept ignition off throughout, no errors.

Only thing I did wrong was push too hard when taking the top cover off the column so the cloth protector  fabric for the very back part of the column came out from its fixing. If doing again would unclip worth the column in and in its higher position (I did fully extended and in lowest position)

Pictures on here and the volkswizard video helped. I am not a practical person or very good at diy and have basically no mechanical experience.

Little dentists type mirror (which we happened to have) was essential piece of kit.
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2023, 10:10 »
Thanks for all the reassuring replies. Is an hour enough time to complete the job do you think? Only reason I ask is I park right outside the office so could box it off at lunch
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual