Author Topic: 2023 VW GTI Dashboard Creaks & Rattles Fix?  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Syd

• Just got here
2023 VW GTI Dashboard Creaks & Rattles Fix?
« on: 10 April 2023, 20:50 »
Hello - I have only had my new Golf GTI 4 days and already I have annoying dashboard creaks and rattles from the sea of plastic that makes up the dashboard. Someone suggested using WD-40 Anti Friction DRY PTFE Lubricant between all the joints on the dash as a way of solving the problem. Has anyone tried this approach and is this product OK to use on dashboard plastics? Cheers

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: 2023 VW GTI Dashboard Creaks & Rattles Fix?
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2023, 21:48 »
WD-40 on a new car?!  Head back to the dealer.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2023, 22:09 »
Welcome Syd  :smiley:

As jv says, that’s something for the dealer to sort out as it’s not normal in a mk8.
There are fewer separate panel sections in these dashboards so in theory they should rattle less.
Mine has an annoying one in certain warm dry weather conditions where it creaks somewhere on the offside but I can’t find the culprit section. I’ve learned to live with it and a few more body noises are setting in now the car is getting older. The bongs drown it all out though…  :rolleyes:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2023, 09:11 »
Mine had various annoying vibrations and rattled, one of which was a high pitch vibration at high revs. Dealer could never hear them 🙄

Offline Mk8Clubby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2023, 10:36 »
Mine has numerous creaks and rattles coming from the dash and doorcards. Hoping to get some of these resolved but reluctant to have dealership ripping out trim as they might make matters worse. For me it's the only negative I have with my mk8 Clubsport, the cheap plastics etc. As my car ages (2 years now) I'm just learning to live with it and turn up the radio  :grin: Car drives great which is what I bought it for. Not good enough tho, my Mk7 interior build quality was best, mk 7.5 slightly worse, and now the mk8 worse still.

Offline Syd

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2023, 10:46 »
Thanks for the info and feedback. I will get the dealer to check out my plastic vibration type rattle further

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2023, 11:31 »
Mine has numerous creaks and rattles coming from the dash and doorcards. Hoping to get some of these resolved but reluctant to have dealership ripping out trim as they might make matters worse. For me it's the only negative I have with my mk8 Clubsport, the cheap plastics etc. As my car ages (2 years now) I'm just learning to live with it and turn up the radio  :grin: Car drives great which is what I bought it for. Not good enough tho, my Mk7 interior build quality was best, mk 7.5 slightly worse, and now the mk8 worse still.

That would always be my fear; dealer ripping out items of interior trim and creating more creaks and rattles in the process, damaging the trim and still not curing the original creaks and rattles! :shocked:

I must say that I’ve been fortunate with the five VW’s I’ve owned as they’ve all been pretty much creak and rattle free. The interior of my current car (2020 Polo GTI+) seems pretty well screwed together in spite of its hard plastic door cards that I thought might be prone to creaks and rattles. That’s not proven to be the case though. Apart from a vibration from the storage cubby in the lower centre console a couple of years ago that only happened a handful of cases on a particular stretch of road, there’s been no unwanted interior noises. 
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2023, 11:55 »
I had 2 MK7's, both of them were much worse for dash creaks and rattles. The only buzzes I get in my MK8 seem to occasionally come from around the door cards.

I remember taking the centre console apart in my MK5 many years ago - the trim around the vents, etc and applying felt tape in the hope of curing it. Like Exonian said, the modern dash's like that in the MK8 have a lot fewer separate bits rubbing off each other like in the older gen cars.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Mk8Clubby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2023, 13:17 »
Ah well, maybe I just got unlucky with mine...feels like I always get the car built by the boy on work experience  :grin:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2023, 15:40 »
There are two rattly noises I get:

1) a rattle that sounds like its from the passenger side that actually is the overhead SOS unit... a thump fixes it for a while.

2) when it is hot weather, a rattle from the exterior plastic trim on the drivers door.

Dealer can't seem to hear or fix either...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC