Author Topic: Alternatives to Richmonds  (Read 5133 times)

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
Re: Alternatives to Richmonds
« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2023, 07:06 »
I had a set of new rep wheels before also 1 cracked 1 buckled both within 6 months never again OEM only for me.
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2023, 08:52 »
Beware of non-OEM wheels.  I bought a set of Prets for £800.  brand new and 2 of them were slightly buckled.....they were replaced but lesson learned.

I had a set of new rep wheels before also 1 cracked 1 buckled both within 6 months never again OEM only for me.

IMHO it can largely depend on who the manufacturers of the aftermarket alloys are. Companies such as BBS, Borbet and Ronal have an extensive range of aftermarket alloys. They also make many of the OEM alloys for VW so I’d have no hesitation in buying a set of aftermarket alloys from one of those manufacturers. There are other reputable aftermarket alloy wheel manufacturers too.

As with any purchase, it pays to do your research and with alloys I’d want to know who the manufacturer is and ensure their alloys are TUV, ABE, JWL (or similar) certified, so will have gone through thorough quality and structural safety testing procedures.

OEM alloys can also have their problems - e.g. there’ve been quite a few instances reported on forums of genuine OEM VW 19” Pretoria alloys being susceptible to cracking and buckling.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2023, 22:12 »
Beware of non-OEM wheels.  I bought a set of Prets for £800.  brand new and 2 of them were slightly buckled.....they were replaced but lesson learned.

IMHO it can largely depend on who the manufacturers of the aftermarket alloys are. Companies such as BBS, Borbet and Ronal have an extensive range of aftermarket alloys. They also make many of the OEM alloys for VW so I’d have no hesitation in buying a set of aftermarket alloys from one of those manufacturers. There are other reputable aftermarket alloy wheel manufacturers too.

As with any purchase, it pays to do your research and with alloys I’d want to know who the manufacturer is and ensure their alloys are TUV, ABE, JWL (or similar) certified, so will have gone through thorough quality and structural safety testing procedures.

OEM alloys can also have their problems - e.g. there’ve been quite a few instances reported on forums of genuine OEM VW 19” Pretoria alloys being susceptible to cracking and buckling.

Agreed I was referring to replica wheels BBS Ronal etc are good quality wheels.

Ref Prets I know 2 people who have both had issues with them cracking too.
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline sdGT

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2023, 15:03 »

I went for these from CM Wheels for when mine eventually arrives , thanks to Exonian’s pictures sold me in these .

Those look great! Considering a set myself. Do you think they're worth the buy? Do the oem rim fittings work? Assume that's a new centre isn't it? Mind linking me to where you got it please?

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 30 May 2023, 09:32 »
Here’s the link to CM wheels. You will need spigot rings, which I think they include and a set of stickers from eBay to place on the blank plastic wheel centres they supply.

https://cmwheels.com/product-category/vw-audi/vag-5x112/19/page/8/
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline sdGT

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 30 May 2023, 10:51 »
Here’s the link to CM wheels. You will need spigot rings, which I think they include and a set of stickers from eBay to place on the blank plastic wheel centres they supply.

https://cmwheels.com/product-category/vw-audi/vag-5x112/19/page/8/

Great, thank you. The satin 18s I want are OOS currently, so I'm waiting on an eta from Liam for them. He said they do supply spigot rings, and told me to get vw stickers from ebay also.

He mentioned I'd probably want new black bolts, to go with the alloys. He's right. Noob question, but could you tell me which ones I'd need to buy please?

Offline Vinyl_Addict

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 30 May 2023, 11:30 »
They do come with spigot rings, not sure about the bolts but the original bolt covers fit as far as i am aware.

Still waiting on my car to confirm (Sitting waiting on a boat)
Ordered June 2021: MK8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue

Offline sdGT

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 30 May 2023, 11:59 »
They do come with spigot rings, not sure about the bolts but the original bolt covers fit as far as i am aware.

Still waiting on my car to confirm (Sitting waiting on a boat)

Sorry to hear your's is taking so long to arrive! Bloody VW. The backlog really is crazy.

Right, okay. So the bolts do fit. Mine are silver, but the bold covers are black, so you're saying those will still over the top? That may do me if I don't have black replacements.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 30 May 2023, 12:12 »
I bought a set of 18” gunmetal Reifnitz from CM wheels. You don’t get wheel bolts. The originals fit and you can buy black or silver replacement nut covers off eBay for a few pounds.
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline sdGT

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 30 May 2023, 12:18 »
I bought a set of 18” gunmetal Reifnitz from CM wheels. You don’t get wheel bolts. The originals fit and you can buy black or silver replacement nut covers off eBay for a few pounds.

Awesome. Thank you. Don't happen to know the size of their centre cap do you? So I can buy vw stickers on ebay ready.