Author Topic: LED Grill help.  (Read 2825 times)

Offline VeliVel

• Not said much yet
LED Grill help.
« on: 03 July 2021, 23:46 »

I have been driving all week and the led strip on the grill was not on, I have been out tonight and the led strip was not on when unlocked the car and checked how the lights looked in the dark. But when I got home the full led grill was lit up. How is this? The only thing I was using was the fogs as had to drive 20miles down dark lanes, so kept turning the high beam on and off.
I noticed if press the beam 2x the icon changed to the beam light with the letter A in the icon and then without the A if pushed the beam again. So no idea how i managed to turn this on? I have seen other golfs with this led grill light on in the daytime, but I have 100% not had this on.
So I’m wondering how you flick this on and off. If anyone knows it would be great as would defo not want it on in the day.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: LED Grill help.
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2021, 08:04 »
The light strip comes on with the headlights...

The A thing is auto main beam, part of the IQ dynamic lighting system. Have a read of the user guide...

I've never used the fog lights, it's never been foggy so far.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline VeliVel

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2021, 19:12 »
The light strip comes on with the headlights...

The A thing is auto main beam, part of the IQ dynamic lighting system. Have a read of the user guide...

I've never used the fog lights, it's never been foggy so far.

Yeah i have read the manual and it’s hardly any use. It has no mention of most things. The led grill in not mentioned at all.  The eco assist I was having a issue with was not mentioned as was the problem it caused that made me have to ask for help here.  The VW showroom was even worse, they did not know anything about the way some golf mk8 headlights only had the line lit up without the underneath, took you lot to help point out that’s the standard lights not the IQ.  I swear between the manual and vw I learned nothing to help with anything. It’s been here that’s sorted it out.  So thanks everyone as especially the eco assist the car now is amazing to drive.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2021, 23:00 »
The manual definitely explains the IQ lights and auto main beam i promise you.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline VeliVel

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2021, 00:50 »
The manual definitely explains the IQ lights and auto main beam i promise you.

Yeah it explains that, but it was a question about the grill led light I was wondering about.  Just as seen cars in the day with it on and mine was off in the day, but on at night.  I did not know if there was a turn on in day option in settings etc.  Obviously they must have had there low beams on but in the day they are not noticeable really.
The manual explains a few things very simple with not much detail. But most things are not mentioned.  There was literally nothing about why my car was lightly breaking all the time at the end of roads, behind cars and would create a massive gap between me and car in front by breaking lightly until it made it.  And on the lanes at 60 this gets old fast.  It made me want my 7.5 back    The manual never helped one bit.  Found out on here it might be eco assist,  again that’s not mentioned in the manual.  It’s a joke book more than useful for anything bar the basics. 
Not even a mention or a line about the grill light to say when and how it turns on.  It’s nice to know.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2021, 07:35 »
You cant control the light strip separately. its off with DRL's and on the rest of the time.

PS I just looked at my manual.... Eco Assist is clearly described.

I turned it off because I hated the bloody pop up messages but it does more than warn...

When the system is active, Eco assistance can also increase brake energy recuperation without displaying a message. This may be the case if you take your foot off the accelerator when there is a vehicle in front, for example. Here, brake energy recuperation is adapted to the vehicle in front without any message being displayed.
« Last Edit: 05 July 2021, 07:39 by fredgroves »

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2021, 08:54 »
The manual tells you the details of the things that can be changed it won't give details about which lights are on when its just a feature of the car like the sweeping indicators, these aren't mentioned in the manual but they are there.

In fairness to the salesman, they are selling numerous types of each model all with many different features. They can't possibly know every single tiny detail, some are better than others but I reckon as a car geek who studies the models before I buy I could tell them more about the car than they do.

E.G. when I bought my car I asked whether my car could put the map on the dash screen too? The salesman told me the Golf 8 didn't do it. I knew from posts on here that Hardware D can but not Hardware B does this make him useless or just not as well read? My mate is a salesman they go on product launches and they are given sheets with certain information but it doesn't go into the finite detail of each car.
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline VeliVel

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 05 July 2021, 19:47 »
You cant control the light strip separately. its off with DRL's and on the rest of the time.

PS I just looked at my manual.... Eco Assist is clearly described.

I turned it off because I hated the bloody pop up messages but it does more than warn...

When the system is active, Eco assistance can also increase brake energy recuperation without displaying a message. This may be the case if you take your foot off the accelerator when there is a vehicle in front, for example. Here, brake energy recuperation is adapted to the vehicle in front without any message being displayed.

I could not find eco assist mentioned in the manual, or if it does it prob don’t say that it breaks for you almost the whole drive. I was thankful you lot helped out otherwise i was sure it was a feature that the new mk8 just has you can’t turn off.  I did not know it was eco assist doing it as seemed more like a safety feature.
Thank god it stays turned off and is not like the super annoying lane assist you have to tap indicator, press off then close.  It’s quick and easy but why make this like that. Is it law or something now?   

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2021, 20:14 »
I could not find eco assist mentioned in the manual, or if it does it prob don’t say that it breaks for you almost the whole drive. I was thankful you lot helped out otherwise i was sure it was a feature that the new mk8 just has you can’t turn off.  I did not know it was eco assist doing it as seemed more like a safety feature.
Thank god it stays turned off and is not like the super annoying lane assist you have to tap indicator, press off then close.  It’s quick and easy but why make this like that. Is it law or something now?

It’s to become law for speed limiters to be fitted - it’ll be mandatory for all new models of car from May 2022 and new sales of existing car models from 2024. Some manufacturers (e.g. VW) are fitting speed limiters in advance of dates being imposed under the legislation, so that drivers become accustomed to them in advance of the legislation coming into force.

The links below have already been pasted into other discussion threads by other forum members, but reposted here for your information;

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103530/uk-set-to-adopt-eu-mandated-speed-limiters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u90uIuoqnQ0

Edit; Oops - should have said some manufacturers may fit speed limiters in advance of dates being imposed under the legislation, rather than they are fitting them now. :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: 05 July 2021, 22:56 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2021, 22:09 »
That quote i copied and pasted from the online user guide for my car... Its definitely in the manual!

It's not a speed limiter... Yet. Might be come my22... All of the pieces are there.