Author Topic: £85 quoted charge for warranty inspection  (Read 1646 times)

Offline agentutah

• Not said much yet
£85 quoted charge for warranty inspection
« on: 12 May 2021, 19:46 »
Hi all,
Had gtd serviced 2 weeks ago, but since this I have noticed a brake squeak on the vehicle so called up few days ago to get booked back for inspection tomorrow, just got the online check-in and it suggests an £85 charge which was not communicated to me during the phone booking.  I've had various warranty checks done on this and previous vehicles and never seen such charges. Anyone else experienced this please? I'm now a little reluctant to drop it off tomorrow! The pads were 30% worn on an almost 2 year old gtd coming up to 20k but the brake squeaking issue was not there before.

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
Re: £85 quoted charge for warranty inspection
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2021, 20:11 »
I’ve seen that often with cars out of the original manufacture warranty, but with a third party extended warranty. Diagnostic fees aren’t often included with this type of warranty.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a charge for a car still in it’s original warranty period though, so I would question that before proceeding in case it’s an error.

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2021, 20:31 »
I was also advised that if it does not transpire to be a warranty claim then... the charge would be applied!
Mine was £60 though and as the claims were valid it was not charged.
Mine was also in the original 3 years, not on VAG extended by one year so.
I will be doing the same for another couple of bits in the short term.
Usual shrinkage of the under bonnet heat shield, AC not working, squeaking R/H front strut and another go at my drivers thigh support disintegrating, so far!
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2021, 21:59 »
Quite common...

If vw offer to pay for the warranty work they pay the dealer for diagnostic time. If vw don't pay, you pay.

Not everywhere does it, but I've seen the same from BMW as well...

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2021, 22:34 »
I've had this before but I'm quite the expert at kicking up a fuss in a showroom...

Offline agentutah

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2021, 08:28 »
Dealer confired this morning there will be no charge for the investigation work because vehicle is still in its warranty period.

The system is set with prices for all allocted hours, so thats why it shows £85 as that is the standard diagnostic time, outside the warranty period.

Offline agentutah

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2021, 13:16 »
£252 quoted to apply some copper grease to the pads, I kindly declined this for now...

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2021, 16:54 »
Wow :grin:.  I'll do it for £250

Offline agentutah

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2021, 18:34 »
Yeah that's what I thought :grin:

Offline colsay

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2021, 18:50 »
Bit late to the party on this one, but...

I have owned most major brands of cars including “prestige “ such as BMW, Mercedes etc and more mundane brands such as Skoda. My Golf GTI is still under three years old but the issues I have raised under warranty have been dismissed or not answered, and quite honestly the worst customer service I have experienced. I really like the car, but the attitude of VW in terms of after sales is really poor so this will be my last VW. So your experiences do not surprise me.
And the best for warranty issues and customer service? Skoda.
2019 7.5 P/P DSG