Author Topic: Sports Mode and ESC Sport  (Read 814 times)

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
Sports Mode and ESC Sport
« on: 10 May 2021, 18:12 »
I drive a regular route coming home with 2 mile backroad. Sports mode and ESC Sport defiantly makes the car more powerful, I drove a friends clubby last week that said that the car held back with full traction on but I drove and witnessed it had more pull and power with it off. Tried this on my standard GTI yesterday but even bigger test tonight when it was dry and it's defo got more pull, still handles great but more power towards them front wheels

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Sports Mode and ESC Sport
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2021, 19:55 »
In theory esc is braking wheels to keep it tucked in and level, it's controlled by vdm now on the mk8.

While you've not got the full torque vectoring of the R, it's still probably achieving similar just on the front axle.

I don't think it's going to make it more powerful but might make it move around more, i felt that when I tried it.

So if esc sport gives you a bit more... Would off make it even more so...

The only word of warning is that esc does actually help you not die. I've hit standing water on the motorway at seventy and it's only esc that means I'm hear to type to you...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2021, 20:23 »
In theory esc is braking wheels to keep it tucked in and level, it's controlled by vdm now on the mk8.

While you've not got the full torque vectoring of the R, it's still probably achieving similar just on the front axle.

I don't think it's going to make it more powerful but might make it move around more, i felt that when I tried it.

So if esc sport gives you a bit more... Would off make it even more so...

The only word of warning is that esc does actually help you not die. I've hit standing water on the motorway at seventy and it's only esc that means I'm hear to type to you...

Yeah see your point there Fred, I've only ever tried it with sport on a road really without anything round me, my road back from work is quite wide for a bendy and not many cars. I still find Sport fun and still feel safe with it and still trust the handling. Probably wouldn't dare do it with it off, something in my head would be telling me this ain't going to work. It's mad though I just feel more of a push in power

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2021, 21:57 »
Fred another thing I tried but I'm confused I thought if in manual mode and say I'm in 6 gear and you hold the left paddle in it took it down to lowest gear to attack, I done it in 6 and it took it to 1st just hammering off the ref counter. Surely that's a fault on mine, it would not change up itself was just roaring and I had to quickly shift up

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2021, 22:06 »
Hmm definitely shouldn't do that, I've used the left paddle for max down shift and it dropped a couple of cogs but not like that...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2021, 22:11 »
It's fine just pressing it in and gearing down but I thought I would try it and I shat a brick, M1 on screen and just holding at highest rev, I was in sport mode and not normal drive 🤔

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2021, 22:34 »
It might have dropped to s2 but seemed happy to shift up shortly after by itself. Probably took a little while to think about the next gear...