Author Topic: Golf GTI TCR Options  (Read 6986 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Golf GTI TCR Options
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2021, 10:02 »
Well, 5 door should make your search easier.... 3 door is a bit of a unicorn that some get hung up on which means a long hunt and probably paying a lot more money because of the unicorn status.

You are after a second hand car, the chances of driving ones to find options you like and then finding the right combo... from a small number ever imported into the UK of a model that is/was expensive vs other performance Golfs....

You probably need to be realistic and if there is one near you and nothing about it is a red line to you, choose that one.

Either that or keep dreaming  :whistle:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2021, 10:12 »

Thanks for the advice SRGTD. We've spoken quite a bit over on the Polo forum!

Yes we have! :smiley:.

When I read your earlier posts, I was 99% certain you were S_94 from uk-polos.net as you’d previously mentioned that when the time came to replace your Polo GTI+ you’d like a mk7.5 Golf GTI TCR.

Good luck with your search. I saw a GTI TCR in grey with Reifnitz alloys yesterday and I thought it looked great  :cool:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2021, 10:26 »
Thanks everyone else for your input, very helpful. Interesting to hear the difference of opinions regarding PP/DCC. I've never driven a car with DCC so it would be good to have a test drive (difficult with COVID).

@willni; I'd be looking for a 5-door, I tend to travel a lot with friends so this would be a bit more convenient.

How is the MPG with the TCR?

I was in your position with regards test driving. I booked a GTI PP, a TCR and R. Both the GTI and R didn’t have DCC. I liked the ride but felt the road a bit.  I liked the performance of the GTI and then the R but once I clapped eyes on TCR it was love at first sight. Once in I had a play around with the different ride modes. I wanted DCC as I had read the ride was a bit harder on 19 and I wanted wife and kids not to feel it so much. As it was my car they still needed to come out with me a lot in it. I said to the guy I want it. In fact before I’d seen it or driven it I paid a deposit over the phone lol I just wanted it for the looks and performance knowing it was going to be better than the other two.

With comfort mode on I felt the difference and soaks up the bumps that bit better than the previous 2. In sport mode it’s really solid and great for a bit of fun.

Took a few longs trips out this weekend and on way back from Brighton my wife suddenly said “I love being in this car, it’s really comfortable” that was until I dropped in to sport to accelerate on to motorway and the 365bhp kicked her in the butt 🤣🤣 she’s getting used to that these days though lol

Each car is different for different people so I can’t really sell to you and say yes do this and get that as everyone is different. Everyone’s body and mind is different and reacts in different ways to how the car is so there is no blanket. If someone says don’t bother with DCC I would say don’t bother listening until you have tried and made up your own mind.

As for the car as a whole, if you want something that everyone has and don’t pay much attention to then GTI and R are for you. I didn’t buy the TCR purely for what it is, I loved the looks and performance thought was different and not like others. I wanted something for me to make me happy and for once in my life get what I want.  I didn’t know though at the time how much different! I have lost track of people stopping to chat while I’m cleaning, GTI drivers pulling over to let me past so they can shout out what a great car!  I wasn’t looking for attention as I’m not really like that but I do appreciate a car lover as I am and for someone to say something is nice.

It was actually my wife that said go for TCR. Not just for the colour, as every woman who’s commented to me, they seem to love the grey, she said go for it otherwise you will only look back with regret if you don’t and it’s only a couple grand more!

« Last Edit: 20 April 2021, 10:32 by Kpow99 »
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 20 April 2021, 10:31 »
Oh and as for MPG. I had a Revo stage 1 and not very much difference in economy. I usually get 250-270 out of a take on 95 Ron. It can run on it fine and my Revo SPS I can’t switch fuel types for a bit more performance and change the ECU if I want.

I filled with V Power at beginning of weekend and have done a lot of motorway miles with ACC on set at 72 (70 in real terms) and switched between comfort and Eco and range is roughly 360 miles. I’m on 180 trip so far and not quite half a tank used.

I drive urban most of the time and tend to push a little more 😁
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 20 April 2021, 10:33 »
How is the MPG with the TCR?

Pretty good. A long steady motorway run can be 44mpg. Local driving (low traffic levels) in the summer 36ish, winter 30. Shorter winter drives in the upper 20s. Weight of right foot dependent.

Pretty sure the rear view camera was standard.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Steve04

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 20 April 2021, 10:54 »
@fredgroves; Definitely. I've got a mate who's been looking for a MK4 Golf R32 for about two years now and still can't get one he wants (very specific). I know that's a bit different as that's a much older car, but yes if I see one that is roughly what I want I'd probably go for it.  :smiley:

Thanks for the advice SRGTD. We've spoken quite a bit over on the Polo forum!

Yes we have! :smiley:.

When I read your earlier posts, I was 99% certain you were S_94 from uk-polos.net as you’d previously mentioned that when the time came to replace your Polo GTI+ you’d like a mk7.5 Golf GTI TCR.

Good luck with your search. I saw a GTI TCR in grey with Reifnitz alloys yesterday and I thought it looked great  :cool:.

Haha I had a feeling you'd know it was me straight away! There's something about the TCR that has stood out to me since seeing it.

Thanks mate. Funnily enough I've only ever seen one, exactly like you mentioned in Bristol. Had to be careful as I couldn't stop staring at it while trying to drive.  :grin:
Current: Polo GTI+ 2019

Offline Steve04

• Just got here
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2021, 10:59 »
@Kpow99; thanks that write-up mate. I'm glad you're enjoying the car and from it what sounds like I would too. I bet that 365hp is fun!

@Watts; sounds pretty similar to what I'm getting with the Polo GTI which is good to hear. Cheers mate.
Current: Polo GTI+ 2019

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #17 on: 20 April 2021, 11:13 »
One thing to understand about suspension, ride and DCC is that (to quote the Right Honourable Member for Exeter) is that DCC is an electronically adjustable shock absorber. The real thing that effects ride isn't so much the dampening, its the springs itself.

DCC cannot change the springs.

There is no direct equivalence between DCC and non-DCC.

To my knowledge there are no back to back tests of equivalent Mk7 (or Mk8) Golfs with DCC and non-DCC cars.

The best there might be would be someone like myself who had two nearly identical cars back to back with and without it... and I have to say without was never an issue.

Generally, all you ever hear about DCC are people who spec'ed it then believe it makes all the difference. I definitely would say that is not the case and do not get hung up when chasing a second hand car. That's purely FOMO.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 20 April 2021, 11:40 »
One thing to understand about suspension, ride and DCC is that (to quote the Right Honourable Member for Exeter) is that DCC is an electronically adjustable shock absorber. The real thing that effects ride isn't so much the dampening, its the springs itself.

DCC cannot change the springs.

But DCC does change the behavior of the springs by altering the compression and rebound rate between the different settings available  :wink:
TCR 3 door

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 20 April 2021, 17:14 »
Remember that if the list price of the car was >40k, you will have to pay the £400+ tax amount each year.

My car doesn't have the performance pack. I wish it did but only because I prefer the wheels that come with it. Mine has the Belvedere wheels which I am really not that keen on. Plus they get scratched/swirled really easily.

My car dfoes have DCC though. I like it but it's very subtle in terms of the difference between driving modes. Noticable, but subtle.

One thing I've never been able to find out is whether the black roof is an option or part of the performance pack. Mine is pure grey but doesn't have the black roof. Most of the other pure greys I have seen do have the black roof though.

Car gets a lot of attention, all of it has been positive so far. I'm glad i bought it but would have got something else if I'd known I'd be working from home for a year. I bought it in March 2020... so barely driven it.

I have uploaded the Golf TCR brochure that I was given when I got the car. Might be useful to someone. https://www.mediafire.com/file/p3x1tb0shkrc32y/brochure.pdf/file

Edit: Just looked at the file again and it's a sort of hybrid quote/brochure for one of the cars they were suggesting I buy. I went with another but it will at least give an idea of the standard equipment and some indication of costs for options.
« Last Edit: 20 April 2021, 17:21 by jf111 »