Author Topic: Software issues  (Read 18527 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Software issues
« Reply #110 on: 13 March 2021, 17:39 »
I got a cable when I picked mine up although the vw user guide tells me to only use the cable provided by my phone manufacturer... Which is USB a. I guess if I tried hard enough i could force it into the port on the car..

However I'm not really sure how that has any bearing over the issues people are reporting...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #111 on: 13 March 2021, 17:46 »
Don’t see how any of it’s relevant,I was given a cable when I got my car and have never used it or anything else,but do have connection issues via Bluetooth.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #112 on: 13 March 2021, 18:10 »
It's just VW trying to blame something else that they don't know how to fix.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #113 on: 13 March 2021, 18:39 »
It's just a bunch of mechanical experts trying to fix an IT problem...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #114 on: 13 March 2021, 22:27 »
It's just a bunch of mechanical experts trying to fix an IT problem...
experts 🤣🤣
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #115 on: 15 March 2021, 09:18 »
Here's another insightful quote from another forum:

So just to put a bit of order in the VW jungle world.
So first off, there can be at least 30 control units in the car depending on the extras installed like side assist , electric seat, Harmon Kardon, ecc.
So all these units have their own software which can be updated only by VW. So as an example my Kessy unit had sw 703 and now after the update from VW it went to 706 which fixed the problems I had with unlocking by hand detection. You need to understand that all these units communicate with the BCM, the infotainment and also with each other and this is where many problems arise. They have rewritten the whole software from scratch with the Golf 8 so unfortunately we have become their beta testers...
Also different cars will have different sets of problems because A) Difective from Factory B) Different Software versions C) Control modules installed based on Optionals, ecc.
Now for the Infotainment Sw version, the workshop will only update to 1668 if the Vin of the car is approved by VW in Erwin. The workshop has to follow by the letter what VW Germany tell them to do because the warranty work is paid by VW to those workshops.
If you want to see the information of your car , like what modules you have and their software versions you can use Obd11 or Vcds. Make a scan of the electronic system of the car before and after updates applied by VW and you will know.
The Golf 8 update system is not like the ID3 unfortunately so only minor fixes in the infotainment can be done online. For the big updates only the VW workshops are authorised to do them.
For the Travel assist errors , the steering wheel swap solves most of the problems and some others with software updates.
About the Infotainment Updates: for those on software 16xx the latest is 1668 but a newer 1670 will be available soon.
For the 1778 with 816D Pro / 820D Media a newer 1803 is on the horizon so I heard

I think that's not very different to how I was understanding the issues.

Interesting about the newer software versions for the MIB, still not clear why they swapped to the D variant MIB unit so soon.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #116 on: 15 March 2021, 09:56 »
So, I get in the car this morning and start up..  Infotainment being a little laggy, as per usual for the first 20 seconds or so.  Nothing unusual there.  But then I hit 'Menu' and the background loads in but no buttons at all.  I switched the car off, locked the door, waited a few seconds and then unlocked, started and tried again.  Still the same.

The climate, driving mode, the multi-info type window that shows Nav & media and the swipe-down menu were all fine.  Voice control worked and I was able to tell it to "Open Android Auto" and that worked....just no buttons on the Menu screen.

At this point I needed to set off for work and so left it.  Hopefully having sat for a while it will rectify itself.  If not, I am going to have to speak to VW as these software 'niggles' are mounting up and it's getting pretty beyond the joke now.   :sad:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #117 on: 15 March 2021, 10:05 »
Yes those button/tile things apparently are configurable.... (I saw something written about that somewhere - not in a VW document of course, why would they bother to tell you how their software works?!)  am guessing its failed to load up your settings.

I'll bet after you have left the car for 30 mins locked up, it will have sorted itself out - thats classic VW - after a while it effectively shuts itself down, which should cause it all to come back to life after a crash - that was true on the Mk7 too btw and it often used to have a spaz about all sorts of things.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #118 on: 15 March 2021, 11:57 »
Just tried and it's back to normal. For now...   :rolleyes:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport