Author Topic: Clubsport Testdrive  (Read 577 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Clubsport Testdrive
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2021, 16:28 »
Thanks Andy. Making a lot of sense as always.

Yeah the throttle response stood out as being much better imo. Far more responsive.

I really liked the lack of the gear stick and the tiny selector instead. It actually frees up space and works exceptionally well.

I was looking to change to an Ed45 which would mean changing far sooner than planned but I think it’ll stick with what I have for now at least.

That’s one thing taking tests drives do remind you of sometimes - just how good your current car is!
Your R is pretty much perfect (colour, spec, everything else) so it’s good to see you’re going to hang on to it for longer. My example of car swapping isn’t something I’d recommend!

Maybe in a year or two we will see some improvements to the UI and the addition of bigger paddle shifters on the Clubby. Then again an 8R might also be tempting!

Thank you for such an honest appraisal and  comparison of the 7/7.5 vs 8. This forum really needs  "like" button for such valuable posts.

I didn’t think my post would be of actual use to anyone so your post surprised me a bit. But thank you for your kind words. I was literally just doing the typing equivalent of thinking out loud.

I find all traction controls on the clubby holds the power back for some reason
I obviously don’t drive mine anywhere near hard enough as I’ve never suffered this.
I do get occasional torque steer though when overtaking on country roads.
2020 GTI Clubsport
Prior to that a couple dozen other warmed over VWs

Offline jaceyboy

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2021, 16:40 »
I've now been in a R and clubby. Honestly wish I held out for a clubby instead of just buying the standard but it does me fine. I find all traction controls on the clubby holds the power back for some reason

That’s an interesting point. I’m sure I’ve heard a reviewer comment on that too. Can’t remember who though!

Me I think :huh:

MK7 GTi 300BHP, Black 19" Pretoria's

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2021, 16:49 »
I've now been in a R and clubby. Honestly wish I held out for a clubby instead of just buying the standard but it does me fine. I find all traction controls on the clubby holds the power back for some reason

That’s an interesting point. I’m sure I’ve heard a reviewer comment on that too. Can’t remember who though!

Me I think :huh:

Then well played  sir!

I’ll definitely go back for another test drive as I can’t really judge it in the time given. At the end of the day I love a gti so it’s probably what I’ll end up in. As I said earlier, I think the emergence of the Ed45 just pushed my test drive forward, otherwise I would have waited another year. Although I also factored in the long lead times too which don’t bother me this time as I’m in no hurry.

I forgot to mention the seats. Wow! The fabric is absolutely lovely (well the honeycomb bit anyway) and they’re exceptionally comfy. Steering wheel also felt great and I really liked the haptic buttons. My comment on the infotainment was really reserved for the sliders which didn’t work at all. It’ll just take time to acclimatise yourself to the rest.
2019 7.5 Golf R. Lapiz, prets, 90% tints, black mirror caps, TCR rear lip spoiler