Author Topic: Droning noise at 70mph...  (Read 7399 times)

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: Droning noise at 70mph...
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2021, 11:52 »
Always put new rubber to the rear, as understeer (from worn front tyres) is a whole lot easier to deal with compared to oversteer (from worn rear tyres).
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 25 May 2021, 20:25 »
Sorry to respond to these posts late, but I hope to get this annoying sound sorted this weekend. Does anyone have a specific YouTube clip that shows the process well?

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2021, 20:36 »
Sorry again, I've a busy weekend fixing the fuel flap and hopefully the whirring sound..... Referring to the whirring sound, my tyres and tracking have been confirmed as fine, so the next prime suspect I guess is a wheel bearing. The thing is, I've jacked up the car and can't feel see any normal failed wheel bearing signs and it's impossible to definitely say which corner the sound is coming from. Any suggestions on where to go next, many people say it's been their nfs bearing, is this particularly prone to failure?

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2021, 09:36 »
. The thing is, I've jacked up the car and can't feel see any normal failed wheel bearing signs and it's impossible to definitely say which corner the sound is coming from. Any suggestions on where to go next, many people say it's been their nfs bearing, is this particularly prone to failure?

Other than the noise there wasn`t any of the usual signs of a bad bearing, start by changing the most likely...NSF  :wink:
2016 GTD

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2021, 15:14 »
NSR it is. I'll post the results once done! Thanks again for all the invaluable advise, this forum is such a useful source of information!

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2021, 21:33 »
I believe I may have found the issue causing my particular droning sound around 70mph. So, I called my local VW main dealer out of curiosity to get a price for diagnosis - £60 for 30 mins with their first availability being in 2 weeks. Then called my local do it all garage that I take my wife's 2007 Honda Jazz to when needing attention. They saw me the next morning, took it for a test drive and pointed me towards a buckled rear passenger side alloy, and the cost for this £0! I have a video of the wheel in question where you can most definitely see the buckle as it spins (unfortunately can't attach it to this post), what are the thoughts of the forum on this being the cause of the droning noise - has to be the culprit doesn't it?

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2021, 12:30 »
I doubt it but easy to confirm by using your spare  :smiley:
2016 GTD

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2021, 13:00 »
Easy to eliminate by changing that wheel, but I would imagine if a buckled wheel was making a noise it would be a rhythmic "bump, bump, bump"

A drone/hum type noise is normally indicative of a wheel bearing.

Does it get any noiser when going round bends??
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2021, 17:34 »
If you have hit something hard enough to buckle the wheel, it could be that the bearing has gone too. It happened to my MK7.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 04 December 2021, 19:10 »
Whirring Update!

After almost giving up on my well documented whirring sound that appears to emanate from the rear of my 2013 GTi PP manual at 70mph, I believe I’ve found the issue.

Inspiration came from a recent episode of Wheeler Dealers where mention was made of a harmonic damper that reduces sounds caused by resonance, specifically in chassis and suspension. With this in mind and some surfing the forums, I stumbled across the posts made by ‘golfdave’ who is a mine of excellent information. He gives detailed information regarding a harmonic damper that is factory fitted to some Audi’s and has the mounting holes drilled into the Mk7 Golf chassis. I won’t go into further details, but please do view the thread as it explains everything very well.

So, I bought the harmonic damper from my local Audi dealership, fitted it which was simple and the whirring that’s been bugging me for months is reduced to almost nothing, still slightly audible but so much better!