Author Topic: Gti Reviews  (Read 49597 times)

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: Gti Reviews
« Reply #300 on: 09 May 2021, 19:05 »
After all of the reviews he's done of the different mark GTi's he now seems to have an issue with metal pedals that are standard.

Even some of the comments on the video are slagging off VW and claiming they are a safety issue and should be changed!

Never had an issue with mine.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #301 on: 09 May 2021, 19:49 »
[quote
Does the sync not hold from when you were previously in the car?
[/quote]

Mine does, although it didn't in my last Mk8 GTI.
Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #302 on: 02 July 2021, 19:20 »
https://youtu.be/DKPALLEVzEs
Very good review from savagegeese of the GTI  :laugh:

ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.

Offline Woeisme

• Not said much yet
« Reply #303 on: 03 July 2021, 01:58 »
https://youtu.be/DKPALLEVzEs
Very good review from savagegeese of the GTI  :laugh:
watched this earlier and it made me wonder is the big difference down to the fuel injection or is there more to it when comparing euro to na cars? The tyres will play a big part also but nobody reviewing the gti in Europe said it was that much of an upgrade.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #304 on: 03 July 2021, 04:10 »
That's the best Mk8 review I've seen yet - by a mile.  Very detailed.

I feel he hit the nail on the head re. the digital driver interface - it is designed for the future, at the expense of the present. 
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #305 on: 03 July 2021, 05:59 »

I feel he hit the nail on the head re. the digital driver interface - it is designed for the future, at the expense of the present.
But then completely overlooked or missed the fact that the ESC can be accessed and turned off with a swipe and two taps and that the voice commands work brilliantly and completely negate the need to use the terrible temperature controls.  At this point into the car's life, you would think that these reviewers know that you set the ESC control to a shortcut and that you can simply say "Hello, Volkswagen.  I'm cold." by now.  :rolleyes:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #306 on: 03 July 2021, 08:07 »
That doesn't change the fact you still have to take your eyes and attention off the road to play whack-a-mole on the touchscreen for HVAC controls.  Whilst your finger jiggles about on a bumpy road.

And several reviewers have demonstrated how flakey the voice control is.

This keeps coming back to some people being content to set their car to 22 degrees and just drive, whilst others (like me) constantly adjust HVAC depending on conditions and their passengers' preferences.

Then there's those who are early adopters and thrilled to be at the cutting edge and content to overlook flakey real-World usability.  I'm neither.  The sort of stuff I read here about the mk8 would drive me utter bonkers. I like my cars that, to borrow an old Honda advert: "Isn't it nice when things just work".
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #307 on: 03 July 2021, 17:43 »
That doesn't change the fact you still have to take your eyes and attention off the road to play whack-a-mole on the touchscreen for HVAC controls.  Whilst your finger jiggles about on a bumpy road.

And several reviewers have demonstrated how flakey the voice control is.

This keeps coming back to some people being content to set their car to 22 degrees and just drive, whilst others (like me) constantly adjust HVAC depending on conditions and their passengers' preferences.

Then there's those who are early adopters and thrilled to be at the cutting edge and content to overlook flakey real-World usability.  I'm neither.  The sort of stuff I read here about the mk8 would drive me utter bonkers. I like my cars that, to borrow an old Honda advert: "Isn't it nice when things just work".

But it does, because you don't have to do that.  You say "Hello, Volkswagen.  I am warm/cold" and it works.  The passenger can do the same and it works for their side as well.  Yes, the understanding of voice commands when making calls or using the inbuilt nav are flaky, as it struggles to pick up on names of contacts or streets....which is why I use Google instead....but when using the standard commands to control functions of the car, it works great.

And 22 degrees?!  Mine doesn't ever go above 19!  :grin:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #308 on: 03 July 2021, 23:07 »

But then completely overlooked or missed the fact that the ESC can be accessed and turned off with a swipe and two taps and that the voice commands work brilliantly and completely negate the need to use the terrible temperature controls.  At this point into the car's life, you would think that these reviewers know that you set the ESC control to a shortcut and that you can simply say "Hello, Volkswagen.  I'm cold." by now.  :rolleyes:
Problem for me is when driving it’s difficult for me to hit any button on one attempt.
ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #309 on: 04 July 2021, 08:07 »
The problem with the screen is that it's just slightly too far away from the driver. That means you have to stretch, over extend and it reduces your accuracy... Its a silly design mistake.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC