Author Topic: New tyres suggestions?  (Read 119034 times)

dervy

Re: New tyres suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: 19 December 2014, 10:59 »
Like so many on here I have Bridgestones fitted. I was reasonably happy with them on my Mk6 GTD, but the wet weather performance when fitted to the Mk7 is, imho, pretty abysmal. There have been lots of comments about the usual brands, but has anyone fitted or got any views on Vredestein Sessantas? I know they are a summer tyre, but wet weather performance seems to get good reviews as does road noise, handling etc. In addition, prices seem reasonable………and they look cool (sad, I know)!!!! your views would be much appreciated.

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 19 December 2014, 13:53 »
I've raved a couple of times on here about Sessanta's! I haven't reached changing the tyres on my GTD yet, but will consider them alongside anything else under £100 at the time.

I had the sessanta's a couple of times on a Civic cdti (140bhp/340nm), and they were awesome. Wet performance was incredible, and they were quiet and yes - look very cool :)

I know plenty of people have used them on higher end cars so they are definitely a candidate for the GTD/GTI. Some of the older posts on here are very positive about them on older GTI's, we just haven't seen anyone take the plunge on the MK7 yet!

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 19 December 2014, 14:41 »
Here's the thing, you won't know until you try them...

Even if you read the reviews you will understand that this tyre's good at this and that one at that - the objective measure but the subjective element is very important as well, how does it make the car feel to you? In this regard everyone is different.

For example, I'm not a big fan of Goodyear F1 Asymmetric. This tyre performs well in most categories in the tests but they are designed with a soft sidewall which, to me, makes the steering feel mushy on turn in. I preferred, on balance, my GTD on the Continentals it came with rather than the Michelins it now has but most on here will tell you that the Michelin is better.

The Vredesteins have a good reputation, especially in the wet, but I'm yet to try them.

My Golf is a company car so I get no real choice in what they put on... I can ask Quick Fit... but in the end, they are told by the lease company what to put on and as long as they have an E mark on them then I have to live with that...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 19 December 2014, 17:53 »
That's very true Corgi, it is very subjective. The vred's have hard side walls I believe, so you may like the feel. In the Honda the steering feel was certainly taken up a few notches.

I will probably put my money where my mouth is and get them when due next year.

Andy_cs

« Reply #24 on: 19 December 2014, 21:26 »
I too will need to replace my Conti 2's when I change back from winter tyres next spring and have been following this discussion with interest. My shortlist is the usual suspects : Conti 5, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, etc however I was speaking to my usual tyre fitter who recommended Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 (K120). Does anyone have experience or info on these. Reviews I've seen look interesting

dervy

« Reply #25 on: 20 December 2014, 00:14 »
thanks for your comments guys

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 22 December 2014, 16:46 »
I was speaking to my usual tyre fitter who recommended Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 (K120). Does anyone have experience or info on these. Reviews I've seen look interesting

They were on the back of my 911 when I bought it...they were OK but didn't last long... and when they were below 3mm they were poor...

It would be interesting to know why he's recommending them... Is it because he rates them as a tyre? If so what is he comparing them to? Is it because he makes a bigger margin on them? Is it because they don't last long and you'll be back for more of them sooner than with other tyres?

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 22 December 2014, 17:48 »
I was speaking to my usual tyre fitter who recommended Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 (K120). Does anyone have experience or info on these. Reviews I've seen look interesting

They were on the back of my 911 when I bought it...they were OK but didn't last long... and when they were below 3mm they were poor...

It would be interesting to know why he's recommending them... Is it because he rates them as a tyre? If so what is he comparing them to? Is it because he makes a bigger margin on them? Is it because they don't last long and you'll be back for more of them sooner than with other tyres?

Usually some ulterior motive corgi and I would go with 2 and 3 on your suggestions.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline wab172uk

• Just got here
« Reply #28 on: 22 December 2014, 19:53 »
My first set of Dunlops lasted just 8000 miles. Didn't think I was that hard on them either. 

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #29 on: 22 December 2014, 21:19 »
Conti 5s fitted today. Very, very impressed. Under £400 and the Austins are un marked.
I decided against winters at over £700 + storage and refitting costs even though I know how good they are. Hope I don't regret it.

After 18k on the Bridgestones I now realise how bad they actually were, the slightest bit of damp on the roads and struggling for grip. Unfortunately they also last for ages.

My advice?
Ditch the Bridgestones before they ditch you - literally. :sick:
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.