Author Topic: help!! 20vt wiring  (Read 770 times)

Offline swinnyuk2001

• Not said much yet
help!! 20vt wiring
« on: 18 November 2008, 21:38 »
hey everyone.im having a bit of a nightmare with mk 3 gti 8v to 20vt (arz)wiring..basicly i have the 20vt engine loom and ecu,but i also have the the 2 plugs from the other side with about a foot of wire which has been chopped because the person i got it off couldnt be arsed to remove the rest of the loom from scuttle backover.i have the clocks and key but no ignition barrel or the rest of harness.its drive by wire but im using my 8v throttle,so im guessing the imobilized ecu will be no good or need unlocking?also will the ecu still work ok with DBW converted to cable?and finally..with the chopped wires i have can i get it running if i graft them into the old 8v loom using mk3/4 wiring diagrams?qpe option is not affordable right now i just want it running
i only have wiring left to do and im itching to go :-) all help will be great

many thanks

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
Re: help!! 20vt wiring
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2008, 01:56 »
stock ecu makes for a better conversion anyway   a lot safer for your enigne. 

the loom looks scary right now  but there not that bad,  most of the wires are easy to work out even without diagram.  converting the dbw  is possible on some of them at least
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline swinnyuk2001

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2008, 09:59 »
just need to know if i can wire it in with what iv got or will i need anything else

Offline swinnyuk2001

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2008, 12:46 »
just got the loom from the same car and ripped the steering rack and barrel out :-).the only part il need to use on the loom will be clocks and ignition barrel is this correct?and splice that into the mk3 fuse box?

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2008, 09:18 »
Unless you have an ECU with the security burned out you'll need ECU, clocks, key and the inductive loop from around the key all from the same car.

It's all coded together.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.