Author Topic: Worst possible out come of a remap?? fuel???  (Read 5935 times)

Offline T1 11JKE

• GTI forum regular
Worst possible out come of a remap?? fuel???
« on: 13 November 2008, 21:40 »
Whats the worst out come, when having a remap??? fuel? engine wear? crashing? blowing things?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Worst possible out come of a remap?? fuel???
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2008, 07:55 »
Whats the worst out come, when having a remap??? fuel? engine wear? crashing? blowing things?

fuel not so much  - only when booting it  :smiley:

as with anything, the more stress you put on things the more quickly they wear etc hence why servicing regualrly with the correct oil etc is very important to reduce the wear and tear

Offline Revo Kev

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2008, 09:44 »
Worst case I've seen happened recently...

BMW Z4 owner decides to save a little money and use a mobile guy to tune his car, saving him a couple of hundred quid over a 'reputable' remap (note: Revo don't do BMW so there's no bias here!). Supposed tuner ends up pulling the ECU out of the car after locking it out, leaves the customer with a dead ECU and thus useless car. Customer pays recovery, new ECU and then proper money for a decent remap. Long and short of it, the guy tried to save a couple of hundred quid but paid out nearly £1500...

...always use a reputable company that offers you backup and a quality product!

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2008, 10:05 »
R-Tech then!

Offline Revo Kev

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2008, 10:15 »
No... This was a company based the other side of the midlands.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2008, 10:28 »

i think he meant R-Tech as a reputable company  :smiley:

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2008, 11:59 »

i think he meant R-Tech as a reputable company  :smiley:

That I did.

Offline RTechUK

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • R-TECH OFFICE 01455 617233
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2008, 16:58 »
Worst case I've seen happened recently...

BMW Z4 owner decides to save a little money and use a mobile guy to tune his car, saving him a couple of hundred quid over a 'reputable' remap (note: Revo don't do BMW so there's no bias here!). Supposed tuner ends up pulling the ECU out of the car after locking it out, leaves the customer with a dead ECU and thus useless car. Customer pays recovery, new ECU and then proper money for a decent remap. Long and short of it, the guy tried to save a couple of hundred quid but paid out nearly £1500...

...always use a reputable company that offers you backup and a quality product!

Hi Kev
A little research and a few posts on a BMW forum asking the right questions could have saved this guy some money and hassle,
 As you say there are some gash mobile tuners out there, pulling up in cars with one basic tool, no diagnostics kit, using files with block % changes on anything that looks like a map section in the file and causing damage to £2k motor upto £60+k motors, A lot of these files are comming from over seas for around 50euro per file... :evil:   

This is our mobile set up,  the only thing that aint in there is a rolling road.....But once I find £25k knocking around we have a set of bolt on hub pod dynos. I think It would be a first.

regareds
Nick

R-Tech Customer Feedback / Reviews
http://r-techpower.co.uk/r-tech-feedback.php
VW AUDI SEAT SKODA 1.8T-1.9TDi -2.0TFSI  Tuners

01455 617233
http://sticky-vnt.co.uk Midlands

Offline RTechUK

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • R-TECH OFFICE 01455 617233
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2008, 17:19 »

Hello,

We have cars out there which have been tuned and drove 150K plus with out any issues, then there are the cars out there which has problems straight away.  A remap will show up all underlaying faults, and if a component is on its last legs the remap will finish it off. 

Fuel: boot it and you will suffer, drive normal and you will gain extra MPG, IMO its swings and roundabouts.
Engine wear: A lot id this is down to the owner, make sure the car it up to ideal running temp before givving the car hard stick, and after a good hard drive give the engine and turbo a cool down time before switching the engine off..ect..
Service the car well using top quality or OEM parts and there is no reason your engine shouldnt out last a non remapped engine. 

Crashing?:  lol  :grin:  Dont drive like a chav!  make sure you have good tyres with good tread and make sure your brakes are spot on.

Blowing UP!  This happens on remapped car and non remapped cars all the time.

I am sure there are people on this with 100S of miles on the clock without an issue then you get this > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=91648.0   
Not the tuners fault, as he is a very good tuner and knows his VAG TDIs well, Just the luck of the draw where the remap killed the turbo which was on its last legs.  It could have happened to any tuner, Shame I know, but like all GOOD tuners PSI bent over backwards to get suzy back upand running.

Nick

R-Tech Customer Feedback / Reviews
http://r-techpower.co.uk/r-tech-feedback.php
VW AUDI SEAT SKODA 1.8T-1.9TDi -2.0TFSI  Tuners

01455 617233
http://sticky-vnt.co.uk Midlands

Josho

« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2008, 18:23 »
Wait hang on. You remap a car to gain power, but if you boot it you have fueling issues, thus slowing you down? Bit ironic isn't it?