Author Topic: Insurance - Ex-company car driver  (Read 2704 times)

Offline mafri

• Not said much yet
Insurance - Ex-company car driver
« on: 29 May 2007, 23:30 »
This is proving more difficult than I thought.....!

I've just bought a new Golf GTI, due to be delivered on 1 September, so I thought it would be good to get a feel for insurance costs ahead of time. I'm 34, and have a company car at the moment - no accidents in my time with the company scheme (2001).

HOWEVER, in December 2004 my company car was broken into, and my laptop stolen from the boot. The thieves enjoyed it so much they re-visited the hotel car park in January and broke in again - but no laptop this time!

It seems that two (non-fault) claims are causing me real problems in getting a reasonable quote - and I resent it really, as it was the company's car that got broken into on company business, and the company's laptop which was nicked - nothing to do with me!

Clean driving record apart from an SP30 (3 points fixed) in July 2006.

HIC website came up with £1800   :sick:

Am I right to declare these claims? They're on the fleet management company's letter showing my driving record, so I also presume my no-claims is busted down to two years.....?

Best quote so far is £527 from Admiral - but I was hoping that would be the very top end! Any advice/pointers gratefully received - are these claims actually mine....??!
Diamond Black Golf GTI, DSG, Monza IIs, Cruise, MFSW, Rear Tints and Ipod. VRmmmmmmmm!

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: Insurance - Ex-company car driver
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2007, 00:48 »
This is proving more difficult than I thought.....!

I've just bought a new Golf GTI, due to be delivered on 1 September, so I thought it would be good to get a feel for insurance costs ahead of time. I'm 34, and have a company car at the moment - no accidents in my time with the company scheme (2001).

HOWEVER, in December 2004 my company car was broken into, and my laptop stolen from the boot. The thieves enjoyed it so much they re-visited the hotel car park in January and broke in again - but no laptop this time!

It seems that two (non-fault) claims are causing me real problems in getting a reasonable quote - and I resent it really, as it was the company's car that got broken into on company business, and the company's laptop which was nicked - nothing to do with me!

Clean driving record apart from an SP30 (3 points fixed) in July 2006.

HIC website came up with £1800   :sick:

Am I right to declare these claims? They're on the fleet management company's letter showing my driving record, so I also presume my no-claims is busted down to two years.....?

Best quote so far is £527 from Admiral - but I was hoping that would be the very top end! Any advice/pointers gratefully received - are these claims actually mine....??!

Mk5's are still a bit hit or miss with us at the moment, i could probably improve on the web quote but not down to £527 based on the info so far

unfortunately theft claims are classed as fault as your insurers have no "third party" insurer to reclaim their costs from and yes you must declare them.

not the best of help i know but good luck with it, £527 sounds good imo

Martin  :smiley:

Offline mafri

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2007, 07:14 »
Thanks for the reply. Just one last question - the company weren't my insurer, the policy was in the company's name. I know I was in charge of the vehicle at the time, but who's no-claims is lost in the circumstances, mine or my employer.....?

Thanks
(Still trying to wriggle out of it!)
Diamond Black Golf GTI, DSG, Monza IIs, Cruise, MFSW, Rear Tints and Ipod. VRmmmmmmmm!

Offline mafri

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2007, 07:21 »
And to illustrate my point - I've got a key to the office, and I'm the 'nominated' key-holder. If the office gets broken into, would I have to declare that when renewing my own household insurance?!? I think not, so why is the motoring world different.....?

Offline derdle

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2007, 19:34 »
Have you tried Elephant? I have returned to them for my GTi and as it is a 2nd car I have zero NCB against it. Tad under £500...but I am a bit of an old git.

Paul
Laser Blue 05 Gti c/w sunroof

Offline mafri

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2007, 01:17 »
Thanks for the suggestion, but no more joy with Elephant - I think I'm being judged on the two claims, rather than the lack of no claims that results from it. I'd have been better off if I had zero no claims and no claims to report - I think....!

Offline derdle

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2007, 10:46 »
Have a word with the fleet/insurance manager where you work. My g/f had a prang in her company car and a laptop stolen beforehand but both were under £1500 - a level at which her company "self insured" (bit like an excess) and therefore no formal claims were made. As a result she was able to get a letter from her company to say that no claims had been made and she was able to get her own car insurance with no hassles.

It might help!

Paul
Laser Blue 05 Gti c/w sunroof

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2007, 00:06 »
And to illustrate my point - I've got a key to the office, and I'm the 'nominated' key-holder. If the office gets broken into, would I have to declare that when renewing my own household insurance?!? I think not, so why is the motoring world different.....?

not really sure how household insurance works tbh because we have never dealt with it but your office is presumably at a different address to your house so could be classed as a higher or lower risk area and does not spend its time parked in different areas.

You must still declare all claims to be on the safe side, your insurers will disregard anything they do not consider relavent. Despite the fact its a company car you still need to decare cos obvoiusly if you are parking your GTI in the same areas as your company car then there is the same theft risk or if you have had a fault crash, its still a fault crash even if it was in a company car.

Martin  :smiley: