Author Topic: Telling white lies?  (Read 4718 times)

Offline Nibbzy

• Not said much yet
Re: Telling white lies?
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2007, 21:08 »
i agree marttin it probably does mate... i got to be honest autonet are rubbish for younger drivers anyway. in essence mew you are correct... but what u tend to find is that trades that are manual where you would be off the road all day or office jobs that kind of things tend to be cheaper as you dont spend anywhere near as much time on the road however if your a courier..... get your wallet out cuz ur gonna get hammered... roofers were always pretty good where i used to work but then they where the best van insurer u cud find near enuf in this country!

Offline firstgolfgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2007, 22:30 »
Someones having you on.

Offline Nibbzy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 03 October 2007, 13:35 »
oh ok so you know best come on then enlighten me cuz ide love to see what ian donaldson managing director of qutonet has to say to your reply...

Offline firstgolfgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 03 October 2007, 13:53 »
Why an earth is it likely that a roofer is gonna be in a pub when it's raining, surely he/she could be just sat at home twiddling their thumbs waiting for the rain to stop or even in the office or wherever they work getting ready for the next job.

How the hell can someone or some company base an accurate insurance quote on a roofer by stating that when it rains they're gonna be the pub getting smashed what a load of B*****ks.

Thats gets on my tits and i'm not even a roofer or in the building trade :angry:

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #14 on: 03 October 2007, 14:16 »
Why an earth is it likely that a roofer is gonna be in a pub when it's raining, surely he/she could be just sat at home twiddling their thumbs waiting for the rain to stop or even in the office or wherever they work getting ready for the next job.

How the hell can someone or some company base an accurate insurance quote on a roofer by stating that when it rains they're gonna be the pub getting smashed what a load of B*****ks.

Thats gets on my tits and i'm not even a roofer or in the building trade :angry:

I think it was not the best example and i dont think its because they are "likely to be in the pub all day" although  what Nibbzy said about may be more likely to be out using their cars than sat in an office etc could well be considered. There could also be the possibilty that people in manual trades may be more likely to use there cars for going to different sites etc even if they do not have it declared on there insurance eg if their van breaks down how many may run the risk of going in the car over losing a days pay?

There are numerous reasons behind the loadings and discounts for occupations etc in insurance many of which even i dont fully get as we are a broker, not an underwriter who actually decide the rates and i think trying to look to hard into it is fairly pointless as it may lead to needless arguments or people getting offended without actually achieving anything.

There are so many other factors to look at and a lot of it is based heavily on claims statistics and im sure this is a major factor for some occupations eg certain occupations have a higher proportion of young male workers etc who based on claims statistics are statistically more likely to make a claim.

Martin  :smiley:

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #15 on: 03 October 2007, 15:17 »
When i changed my occupation on my policy from 'Engineer' to 'Structural Engineer' the premium on my mk4 went down, but the premium on my Rallye went up.. both with the same insurer. I kicked up a fuss and they cancelled the additional charges, but it just goes to show they make their own rules up as they go along..

TeddyKGB

« Reply #16 on: 03 October 2007, 16:28 »
A roofer in a pub all day - how un-PC! :grin:

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #17 on: 03 October 2007, 20:12 »
so working for the mod i get it cheaper!  :smug: i should get it cheaper anyway! i never get chance to drive the bloody thing!  :laugh:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #18 on: 16 October 2007, 17:47 »
ah but isd the MOD, or HM forces, also the Rank you are for HM Forces changes it too  :laugh: :grin:

Offline *tell*

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 16 October 2007, 23:04 »
I went to insure a mk2 gti a few years ago and i told them i was diabetic.they asked me
so may questions about that i wonder how much more i pay for
this  :huh: (have been for 17 years now)