Author Topic: Stupid insurance renewal - tried to rip me off!  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Stupid insurance renewal - tried to rip me off!
« on: 07 September 2007, 22:09 »
It was renewal day today - thank god I called to check! So I asked how much it would be and they said oh, its £560. I questioned this because it was £624 the year before and it didn't seem like much of a drop. So I just paid it figuring I have the 14 day thing to find a cheaper quote if I needed a refund. So out of curiosity, I jumped onto Bell's (my insurer) website and did a quick quote, and it was £376!

So I call them back up and tell the lady that I did a quote and it should be about £200 cheaper, so she tells me she'll stop the payment for the other policy and just start the new one @ the cheaper price, however, she said I don't pay for it until I have the documentation through...I queried this and asked if I would still be covered and she replied "Yes", so technically I am insured, but I haven't paid...I'm a bit concerned about this.

Hopefully all the paperwork should come through soon and I'll have my new bargain of a policy. Oh, for all you other golfers here's my details declared for the policy:

Me as policy holder, Mum as second driver
21 Years old, 4 years experience
1 Years NCB
0 Convictions / Offences
Declared alloy wheels and rear window tints
Parked on driveway
Immobiliser fitted (non-Thatcham)
Declared value £1000
TPFT cover with me being able to drive other vehicles (No legal/courtesy car/windscreen)
£0 Voluntary excess

...On a 1986 MK2 1.8 8v GTi

Seems not too shabby for me, god I love being 21, quotes dropped by about £1K!
« Last Edit: 07 September 2007, 22:15 by blessani »

Offline herbster

• I live here
Re: Stupid insurance renewal - tried to rip me off!
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2007, 23:23 »
 :smiley:
so you not doin the mazda thing then?

FAB is my life and the CABRIO's the wifes!!!!

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2007, 07:06 »
There was one in London I was going to buy, but the guy sold it, then there was one in Manchester and the guy sold it. I'm still on the lookout for one, but in the mean time I still need to drive something :D I managed to sell my Peugeot the other day, so I've only got the 1 car now, which is good.

The golf is great fun to drive, but I just need something a bit more refined, I get fed up of the water dripping on my head from the unfixable sunroof, the constant petrol smell, the rattles and the wind noise at motorway speeds.

If an MX5 comes my way and its a good 'un, I'm still going to go for it I think!

TeddyKGB

« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2007, 16:42 »
How did you manage to get a cheaper quote with bell? If I try to do it on their website it says I am already a customer and should ring to discuss my renewal! :angry:

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2007, 00:02 »
How did you manage to get a cheaper quote with bell? If I try to do it on their website it says I am already a customer and should ring to discuss my renewal! :angry:

Lmao - so does mine! I just thought I broke the website as the last quote I did was TPFT on an S2000 for £800, so I just figured I did something impossible so it wouldn't load up again. I just put the details through with a pluralised surname with the same address etc. When the pack arrives in the post I can make the changes to the policy (correct name) and then I'll be all set.

I asked if there was a technical dept. that could sort out my online quotes for me and the woman said just do it for your next door neighbours address!

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2007, 13:27 »
Good heads up on Bell, they just beat my best quote so far by £100!!!!!

Nick