Author Topic: Insurance =/  (Read 4405 times)

Offline DiRissio

• Just got here
Insurance =/
« on: 09 August 2007, 19:00 »
Hi all  :cool: Im new here  :laugh:

Basically, I am just about to take my driving test and before I do, I have been looking at cars  :wink: I would like to get a Golf MkII (seen some decent ones between £350 and £1200), but my insurance is going to kill me! Im 17, so yeah maybe that's the reason... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have been looking round now for the past 2 months getting quotes on 3 diffrent cars (1 was £350, 1 was £750 and 1 was £1200), however the cheapest insurance quote I can get with my mum on it is £2888...bearing in mind my mum has been driving for 5 years...

I was just wondering if anyone can help me? I have a part time job so I can pay for insurance, but the quotes I'm getting take up all my wages :huh: I went to Citroen, and I can get a C2 on finance for £13.58 a week with 2 years free insurance  :smug: but I don't want a new-ish car.

So yeah, help? :cry: Sorry if it's been asked before, but I'm new so spare me the abuse.

DiRissio

Offline stomper

• I live here
Re: Insurance =/
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2007, 19:30 »
I suggest you get your licence first as that will help a little bit.

Best places for VW insurance are A-Plan, Brentacre, HIC or Greenlight although some of those won't insure you because you're under 21.

What sort of golf are you looking at, 1.3?

2003 Black Magic Bora Sport 1.8T (180)
AMD remap
Milltek Cat-back exhaust
18" BBS RC's
Eibach 30mm Springs with Boge Shocks
Front and Rear V6 4Motion Valances

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2007, 19:59 »
Try Diamond mate.
As its a woman only insurance company your mother will have to be main driver and you can be named.
I got a quote from them (I'm 17 also) with them on a Mk2 GTi for £1500 albeit with my mum as main driver and me and dad named. (They must insure men as named drivers!  :cool:)
They also have full no claims  :undecided:
However I still thought this was fairly reasonable so maybe worth a shot?

Other good quotes I had were bell and endsleigh? Try them  :smiley:

However that citroen is a tempting offer for a first car!
But you can't go wrong with a mk2! Get a 1.3/1.6 and I reckon the insurance with endsleigh will be less than your quote you've mentioned.
(I'll probably be wrong but there you go  :smiley: )
Good luck with it mate  :smiley:

Offline DiRissio

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2007, 20:25 »
Yeah I've been looking at 1.3...

..With Endsleigh the offer I got from when I called them was £2900.

I Will try that Diamond one mate, worth a shot  :grin:

Is a MKII decent for a first time car? I mean, I work in a car parts/performance store so I can get parts at trade price. I just don't want to be paying insurance 3 times the amount the cars worth Lol.

And yeah, that Citroen deal is perfect. I only went in to colelct a part someone wanted from our store and got talking and talked them down from £25 a week  :laugh: :rolleyes: :evil:

You reckon a MKI would be better?

TeddyKGB

« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2007, 20:29 »
Is a MKII decent for a first time car?
Hell yeahh! :laugh:

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2007, 20:48 »
A decent mk2 is a lovely car  :smiley:
At a guess, you might be pushing to get a mk1 in good nick for less than a grand, but then again having a look can't harm anyone!
Thats strange about the endsleigh insurance, I got a quote of 2.5k on a mk4 1.6 from them. Probably took other factors into account i suppose  :smiley:

I'm sure you'll find a decent quote, it just means searching around a bit!
And going tpf&t?

Personally I would be very tempted by the citroen deal. But then again it doesn't have the character of a mk2 in my opinion so I suppose it depends on what you want to go for  :smiley:

Offline stomper

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2007, 20:51 »
Is a good deal, I know a lot of people who did this when they first passed test.

I reckon get the citroen and keep that for two years then get a mk2 gti!

AMD remap
Milltek Cat-back exhaust
18" BBS RC's

Offline DiRissio

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2007, 21:06 »
Well, yeah I may go for the Citroen. But, the MkII is a car that fit's into society while making a subtle statement such as 'yeah...style :cool:' Lol.

And yeah it is tpf&t  :shocked: HIC not do insurance for anyone under 19 at all? Not even as 2nd driver?..

Thanks for the help  :grin:

Offline stomper

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2007, 21:08 »
Martin B off here is the man you need to speak to, he is the HIC rep on here, he should pick up this thread at some point and get back to you.

I would say pm him but you need 10 posts before you can pm people.

AMD remap
Milltek Cat-back exhaust
18" BBS RC's

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2007, 23:19 »
Hi DiRissio, welcome to the forum!

Unfortunatly insurance at 17 is always gonna be a bit of a killer whatever you drive  :sad:. We have not insured 17 year olds for as long as i have been working at HIC (almost 10yrs  :shocked:) so im not always 100% sure on the market rate for 17yr olds at the moment, judging by what some people say on here im not surprised many find it difficult getting started. My first car at 17 was a beige 1982 998cc metro that cost me £425 to insure a year third party only!  :laugh:

Anyway, I have been looking round now for the past 2 months getting quotes on 3 diffrent cars (1 was £350, 1 was £750 and 1 was £1200), however the cheapest insurance quote I can get with my mum on it is £2888...bearing in mind my mum has been driving for 5 years...

Assuming these companies work the same way we do then the premium is always rated on the "highest risk" driver so its irrelevant how long your mum has been driving, you will be the higher risk driver so the premium based on you.

Try Diamond mate.
As its a woman only insurance company your mother will have to be main driver and you can be named.
I got a quote from them (I'm 17 also) with them on a Mk2 GTi for £1500 albeit with my mum as main driver and me and dad named. (They must insure men as named drivers!  :cool:)
They also have full no claims  :undecided:

Yeah this can often save you money with some companies (not us) but be careful. Most insurers are not stupid, they will happily take your £1500 but if they suspect you have "fronted" the insurance (eg taken it in a parents name even though its your car and you are the main driver just to get it cheaper) they could refuse a claim. Its not hard to figure out, your mum has a nice comfy modern car but then just happens to have a old mk2, perhaps modded, with her son as a named driver, it does not take a genius to work it out.

If its your car and you are the main driver this must be declared to your insurer.

As said before the risk is often rated on the highest risk driver so often the price is not that different and all you are doing is preventing yourself building up your own no claims bonus.

And yeah it is tpf&t  :shocked: HIC not do insurance for anyone under 19 at all? Not even as 2nd driver?..

fraid not buddy  :sad:. We insure people 19 and up in their own name, but dont insure young drivers as named drivers on their parents policy unless they are 25 or older for the reasons stated above.

Martin B off here is the man you need to speak to

Cheers dude!!

I know that does not help a great deal but i really do wish you the best of luck finding a good deal, a mk2 is a wicked choice as a 1st car and certainly a lot cooler that the metro i started in.  :cool:

a few  things to try to get you started:

*limiting your mileage can save loads
*mention you are in a club/forum - it works with us as we figure people who are value their car so tend to look after them better
*request a voluntary excess - can save lots but obviously you then pay if you have a claim so dont crash!
*take something like pass plus - some of the companies we use offer up to 30% off for new driver who have done this
*thatcham security - on average with the companies we use saves between 7.5% to 12% so will soon pay for itself in insurance savings
*go for tpft, based on the vehicle values you stated there is no point going comp as you will be paying more for the insurance than you will ever get back in the event of a claim. Go tpft then if you ditch it or summat, dont bother claiming so you dont lose your no claims then use the money you saved in the 1st place to buy something else.

I have based most of this on how we work at HIC and on my own personal experience so it will vary with different companies

Again best of luck, hope this helps

Martin  :smiley: